how to convert a blue lindbergh ?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

how to convert a blue lindbergh ?

Post by OldFoo »

Hi !

I have now since many month a sleeping blue lindbergh and I would like to know what I have to do to convert my blue board to a yellow one (I have VT3 and hotd4 never played) ?

I've read there is many things to change inside like reflash the vga board, change the CF card and the i/o board.

For information I've just checked and I have a

Geforce 7800GS AGP Bios ver. 5.70.02.46.01

CF lindbergh MDA-C0031 rev.D

and the baseboard without the rs323 pins...

:smt008
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

Basically between Blue and Yellow Lindbergh, the are tree main Differences:

1) Blue Lindbergh boots from a hardware locked 512Mbytes CF card, that contains a Windows XP embeded OS.

2) Yellow Lindbergh boots from a hardware locked 128 Mbytes CF card than contains a Montavista Linux OS.

3) Normally Blue Lindberghs are only Japanish Region and Yellow Lindberghs, can be USA, Export, or Japan Region

Updating the BIOS of the Vga is not a problem, you can use a tool called NVFlash, that runs from MS_DOS and is publically available on internet, try searching mvktech on google.

I run this VGA FLASHING Tools from the Lindbergh itself, booting with a CF that contains MSDOS like Shell, extracted from Win98.

Region Switch is not a problem is a matter of modify a byte inside an External I2C E2prom connected to the MBUS of the Southbridge and recalculate a CRC (This e2prom is the one near to the DIMM Modules)

I succesfully dumped the CF card of the Lindbergh using an external equipment, but for the moment i can not write to the original CF, cause i have some problems recreating a hardware watchdog signal, but i found another way and it should be ready shortly...

The CF of the Lindbergh, uses various messures of security:

1) It needs a special signal sent thru IDE0 Data Bus Lines (D4 and D12) during the IDLE times for initial unlock and keep it alive, if you try a Hotswap after unlocking the CF, it locks automatically.

2) It needs a 32 Bytes Password sent by the Lindbergh with a propietary ATA Command 0x82, during bootup, really the password can be of 256 Bytes, but the Lindbergh only uses 32 Bytes and the rest is filled with 00's.

I made some conversions of Blue in Yellow and Red in Yellow, but using a special CF card, not the original one, because Lindbergh allows to boot from 3 types of CF cards, depending on the CF Manufacturer string stored in the ATA Identify answer.

Lindbergh is able to boot from 3 types of CF, but only sends unlock information to the original one that comes with the Lindberh, that is manufactured by ADTEC.

Andy can help with that, i think he can do conversions of Blue Lindberghs into Red and or Yellow, and also can convert it to export.

So i think you should contact him.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi Android Thanks for your feedback !

Technically, is there any possibility to play yellow and red games on the same convertion ?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, if the Red games are converted to yellow.

There are custom versions of Rambo and HODEX and maybe others, that are originally made for Lindbergh Red, that can run on Yellow Lindberghs...

But none of the Yellow or Red games, can run directly on a Blue Lindbergh because, it works with a Windows XP Embeded OS.

Lindbergh Yellow and Red, are very similar, and both works with Linux Montavista.

There are only small difference between yellow and red, the kind of CPU processor and the type of VGA card.

Lindbergh RED, usually has a NVIDEA 7600 video card and a Pentium Celeron 2.8GHZ.

Lindbergh Yellow, uses a Nivdea 6800 or Nvidea 7800 depending on the games and has a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz processor.

Motherboard is always the same in all Lindberghs and processor is socket 478.

During the installation, the games check the colour of the Lindbergh. the grafic card, the resolution, the type of Media board and firmware version etc. Some games are more restrictive than others.

Some of this tests can be bypassed so the games can play with different colours of lindberghs, or different graphics cards.

But this requieres to encode a custom DVD for each game.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I can convert Blue to Yellow, all I need is the Compact Flash card, I also include a tool on the converted card to convert the region on the first boot.

There is no need to flash your VGA card, the BIOS is the correct Yellow type.
OldFoo

Converting Linbderghs.

Post by OldFoo »

Finally I figured out how to write to the CF card of the Lindbergh.

In a few days i will be able to convert Blue Lindberghs into any other colour, Yellow or Red.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

After a few weeks of work.... finally it works.

I can convert Lindergh Blue into yellow and or red.

For Red you will need also to have a Nvidea 7600GS grafic card.