powering all components...

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

powering all components...

Post by OldFoo »

i realize this is not a MAME related forum, but this has more to do with the NAOMI hardware, so please, hear me out! (odd that this post is right after technium's recounting of his abandoned MAME project.)

I have a (probably-hopefully?) basic question. I am in the final leg of my dual NAOMI/MAME cab.

(setup: NAOMI1, MVC2, capcom i/o, 27" Sharpimage monitor)

I ordered (finally) my 15 pin molex to enable swapping from the standard 'control panel to i/o' and to 'control panel to Ultimarc ipac', allowing to interface with MAME.

My plan is thus:

1)connect CP to PC through ipac.

2)connect monitor to PC via VGA.

3)use 1/8" to rca to connect PC to audio in on Capcom i/o

4)Run it!

BUT! i am worried, is it a problem to allow the cab to run as normal?

which is to say, allowing the NAOMI mobo to be powered, even though:

1)NAOMI video is NOT connected to the monitor,

2)the CP is NOT connected to the Capcom i/o

3)the NAOMI audio is NOT connected to Cap i/o

Which is to say, im essentially powering the whole system, when all im using is the monitor and the Capcom i/o (and that only for the amp!)

So? Is this the worst idea evar? is it okay EVEN TEMPORARILY? Just to get it running? How could i do it differently, yet retain the semi-ease of swapping between NAOMI and MAME?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

I've a friend who made a JVS to USB ;) ( pm me if you wanna know more )

I think that's what you need ===> When you will play mame , just plug the usb to pc instead of Mobo :)

So, all you should do is swap VGA/sound/Usb ...
OldFoo

Jvs--->usb

Post by OldFoo »

Well I already have an ipac, so I opted to just make a 15 pin molex(x2) to connect to it (my cab already has these 15 pin connectors in line from CP to the I/O, so it was just a matter of getting two female connectors)

In any case it doesn't matter, because if it's the JVS-PAC that your talking about, I've been in contact with the builder, and it seems as if the Capcom I/o is the only one not supported (though he's sold two to capcom owners, only one worked) and we were unable to sort it out.

Not to mention, the CP connection isn't my concern, as with a jvspac, the situation would remain that, without modification, all of the previously mentioned components would STILL be running, ie: the NAOMI mobo would be running whilst not connected nor in use...

Thanks for the response though.

Case
OldFoo

No one?

Post by OldFoo »

I'm mainly Trying to figure out how to NOT power the mobo when running mame through the cab. Is this possible? An easy unplug? You guys are always stressing voltages etc and I'm worried that not powering one device in the system may make trouble. Anyone? anyone? Bueller?
OldFoo

Re: No one?

Post by OldFoo »

eideal wrote:I'm mainly Trying to figure out how to NOT power the mobo when running mame through the cab. Is this possible? An easy unplug? You guys are always stressing voltages etc and I'm worried that not powering one device in the system may make trouble. Anyone? anyone? Bueller?

The simplest option I can think of is splicing the main power connector before it reaches the JVS power supply, and using a DPDT switch you can connect the PC's AC and the JVS AC on either side, so when it's switched one way it'll power the PC only, the other way it'll power the Naomi only. AFA the Sound, Video and inputs, you might wanna use a KVM switch or similar for the monitor, but sound and inputs you could hook both PC and NAOMI together.

Not sure if this helps or will work, but my idea

EDIT: I may have misunderstood you. Is your Naomi being powered through the Capcom I/O or a JVS/Sun power supply?
OldFoo

Thanks for the response.

Post by OldFoo »

It's currently powered thru the capcom i/o, as I discovered when splicing a couple connections, powering the cab on and getting ... Nothing. I had sliiightly unseated the jamma connector.
OldFoo

soooo.

Post by OldFoo »

im not too too concerned about fast swapping the setup, so i dont need to use any kind of switches. more than happy to unplug and replug the four or so connections (vga, audio, controls, power)

could the answer be to just UNPLUG the NAOMI mobo? (THE CONNECTOR SHOWN BELOW:)

my only concern is from the way you guys talk about the voltage needs of these cabs. would i be taxing the other stuff (capcom i/o and monitor) if the mobo is removed from the equation?

the pc (MAME) is powered externally, NOT thru the cab powersupply fyi.

thanks guys. really.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just disconnect the power from the Naomi. You will be fine.
OldFoo

Thank you

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks a Ton. Just trying to proceed with caution. Don't wanna needlessly burn anything out!