Capcom I/O to MAME

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Capcom I/O to MAME

Post by OldFoo »

I purchased a MvC2 cab last week and am pretty overwhelmed trying to figure out how to also make this a MAME cab (I intend to keep the Naomi installed also). The cab has the Capcom I/O board, so I believe the monitor just plugs into the board and then I just need to figure out how to connect the controls to work with MAME.

Am I right to assume that I can just unplug the JAMMA wiring that is currently going to the Capcom I/O board and instead plug it into a J-Pac and then plug the J-Pac into my hard drive via USB? Or do I need the JVS-PAC, which says that it does not support Capcom Jamma I/O and is out of stock?

I have researched this a lot but am just confused as to what the proper method of connection is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If it has a JAMMA connector then the J-Pac is certainly easier and better. You're better of disabling your JAMMA powersupply when using your PC however, it can cause damage sine the J-Pac doesn't use the power pins.

Find out what resolution your monitor is too, low (15khz) or high (31khz). If it's 15, you'll either need an ArcadeVGA or a scan converter, failing that a software 15khz output prog. If it's 31 you should just be able to plug your PC straight in.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks very much for the advice. I guess my only concern with the J-Pac is that from what I can tell I then have to wire buttons 5 and 6 with a kick harness (no idea how to do this yet) and couldn't then just switch back to Naomi without rewiring those buttons again. Also, since it is a 15khz monitor, I thought I could just flip the switch on the Naomi board and run the VGA straight through the Capcom I/O when using MAME? Does this work with the J-Pac or since I am then unplugging the Jamma harness I need to change the mhz outside the I/O like you described?

I really appreciate the feedback and am just struggling between deciding between the J-Pac or trying to find a JVS-Pac.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Flipping the switch on the Naomi isn't going to do anything ussefull if your screen is 15khz. You will have to do an option above I'm afraid. What you can do for the buttons however, is cut the cables in half and add a molex connector onto the end of it. If you did the same some more bits of wire, with an oposite gender connectore, you can simplify the button changing process.