Naomi2 problems

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi2 problems

Post by OldFoo »

Ok so my naomi2 mobo works very weirdly. Sometimes when I MOVE the power etc cables in the box it will boot and work. It can crash randomly and something doesnt start at all. I tested with 2 different games now (Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Striker 3). So its not a game issue. I also took the cables and used multimeter to check if they had bad connection but they seem to be fine. What could be wrong :(

voltages:

Red: 12.04

Yellow: 5.08

Brown: 3.44

I managed to break few IC legs too but they are now fixed, also my friend at work changed the 10 easily exchangable caps from the motherboard.

The PSU should be fine since new Naomi1 motherboard boots without a problem, I also tried a different filter board.

Recently I just get black screen, no more game play at all.

Any ideas?
OldFoo

Re: Naomi2 problems

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:Ok so my naomi2 mobo works very weirdly. Sometimes when I MOVE the power etc cables in the box it will boot and work. It can crash randomly and something doesnt start at all. I tested with 2 different games now (Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Striker 3). So its not a game issue. I also took the cables and used multimeter to check if they had bad connection but they seem to be fine. What could be wrong :(

voltages:

Red: 12.04

Yellow: 5.08

Brown: 3.44

I managed to break few IC legs too but they are now fixed, also my friend at work changed the 10 easily exchangable caps from the motherboard.

The PSU should be fine since new Naomi1 motherboard boots without a problem, I also tried a different filter board.

Recently I just get black screen, no more game play at all.

Any ideas?

Cageman wrote:
Make sure to have 3.3 around 3.3, and the 5V around 5.11-5.15. Do not let it be higher than 5.2v.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

But why does Naomi1 work fine?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:But why does Naomi1 work fine?

Different power routing systems I heard.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Didn't help.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Sounds like the cables or the connectors are damaged and making partial contact. Make sure on the connector that plugs in the Naomi2 has all the pins fully in, I've had one get pushed back and make only partial contact before. If you do find a pin not all the way in, just push on the wire behind it and it should snap back in place.

One (or more) of the wires could also have a small break in it. If it's been doing it a while, there may be a visible bulge where the break is or you can feel that the wire doesn't bend the same as the others. If it's been a short time, you'd have to check each wire's continuity while bending the wires different ways to find the break.

Which IC legs did you break? Did a novice or professional repair the legs? Cold solder joints are very easy to make as a novice, plus traces can be lifted by accident.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I broke the 4 of the biggest IC chip legs, professional guy fixed them. He has been doing embedded software and hardware soldering for like 20 years :-) And also specializes in those small component soldering by hand, dunno what they are called in english.

Anyways i took a multimeter and checked contact for all the wires and they seem to be ok. Still if wires were bad, why would Naomi1 boot always? ;)