Fault finding Naomi2

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Fault finding Naomi2

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

I'm trying to fault find a Naomi2 system (from cycraft simuline with Initial D and the cart race game???)

ATM the system (MoBo, Comms & ROM) has no VGA or sound and the network seem dead. The PSU appears OK (all voltages present and correct)

I initially found the 7v2 battery and 3v coin cell were both flat (cell replaced and battery charged)

Should I see anything out of the VGA with just main board powered?

TIA

Bill
OldFoo

Re: Fault finding Naomi2

Post by OldFoo »

BillTodd2011 wrote:
Should I see anything out of the VGA with just main board powered?

TIA

Bill

yes, you should see a naomi startup screen.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That's confirmed that I need a new main board :) ( or should that be :smt010 )

Bill
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:)

I picked up another Naomi2 board from Chris <geotopolis> on ebay (nice helpful guy - recommended) . The main, network and DIMM boarda all test OK, so I'll be fitting it into the Cycraft tomorrow.

Bill
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

:)

Well that's fixed. Replaced the main board and screwed everything into place into the back of the Cycraft (not easy, as access to the back of the machine is/was negligible)

Nearly lost my lunch testing it! Boy, do these things throw you around :smt005

The machine has a battery backed DIMM board that saves considerable loading time but, since it often sits idle for weeks or even months on end it often flattens the battery then reverts back to the GDROM

I'm wondering about a flash drive. Would there be any advantages to these ?

Bill
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

you mean compact flash replacing GDROM?

well, i don't have my gdrom system replaced with flash. but, the idea of using compact flash was because gdrom replacement is hard to find.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Compact flash solution is the best.

The game loads faster and quiet and there are less loading errors.

The CF card consumes less energy that the GD-ROM unit and is more robust and almost immune to pollution.

Is a solid state solution.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks guys :)

It does sound like something worth doing.

Bill