SEGA Naomi Newbie HELP!!!

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

SEGA Naomi Newbie HELP!!!

Post by OldFoo »

A friend of mine gave me most of the internals for a Naomi: Motherboard, I/O converter and most of the connections. Is it possible to consolize this? I also have what appears to be a small powerbox running to the I/O. The powerbox has everything connected to the I/O. But the powerbox has two remaining wires with a plastic connector on the end which is supposed to be plugged into something. It's just loose and I know it doesn't plug into the I/O. So I can't even figure out how to power it up. Everything from the motherboard to the I/O is hooked up. All the tangled up buttons are plugged into the I/O. I didn't know whether I needed some other kind of transformer that then plugs into the wall that connects to this one remaining connecter on the powerbox. Basically I think everything is good to go, but I just can't figure out how to power it up. I hate to let this go to waste in the back of my closet. It's got the Marvel vs. Capcom 2 game with it.

Any help is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

you need to connect the other end to 110V from the power box (if it takes 2 wires in).

But best idea is to throw out the crappy Sega PSU (or sell it :D) and replace it with ATX (easier to consolize).

See here:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5104

Just skip the first part about the System 246.

Edit:

Just remember the color codes for ATX and JVS are DIFFERENT.

JVS:

Red: 12v

Yellow: 5V

Brown: 3.3V

Ground: White

ATX:

Red: 5V

Yellow: 12V

Brown: 3.3V

Ground: Black

First just connect the ATX PSU to wall and take out all the voltages and make sure they are correct.

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It is the Sun power supply like this one?

If so, you can just take a normal PC power cord, cut off the 'female' end, carefully strip into it, and connect the white and black lines directly. Take the green line (ground) and connect it to the ground screw below where the white and black wires come out. Be sure to check and adjust your 3.3 and 5v lines with everything hooked up.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jackalus wrote:But best idea is to throw out the crappy Sega PSU (or sell it :D) and replace it with ATX (easier to consolize).

I do not agree ;-) The Sun PSU is a perfect PSU for powering the Naomi. It has adjustable 3.3v and 5v, and is easy to connect without any hacking/modding!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:
Jackalus wrote:But best idea is to throw out the crappy Sega PSU (or sell it :D) and replace it with ATX (easier to consolize).

I do not agree ;-) The Sun PSU is a perfect PSU for powering the Naomi. It has adjustable 3.3v and 5v, and is easy to connect without any hacking/modding!

Not really if you want to conzolize. Sun PSU takes A LOT of space compared to very small PC PSUs :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

ATX power supplies are not really suitable for powering Sega equipment, there 5V is too low and can not easily be adjusted when you power a GD-ROM drive as well, then your 5V will be more like 4.95V which is too low to be stable.

Sun PSU is a far better choice.