CFM gun problem-> any help before I give up and part it o

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

CFM gun problem-> any help before I give up and part it o

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

I recently pulled and capped the monitor on my Confidential Mission. Good news is that the monitor now looks great. Bad news is that my guns no longer work.

No matter what I do the guns will only work in the right two quadrants, with nothing registering in the left two quadrants (using the "check" feature in the gun adjustments menu, as well as verified during gameplay). I've tried both recalibrating the guns and reverting to the factory defaults. The exact same problem happens with both the guns, so I'm reasonably sure that it's not a gun problem.

I also tried checking the I/R sensors with a camcorder. 2 of the sensors were blinking just a bit. I moved those to the end of the daisy chain with no change in the problem.

I enjoy playing the game, but am at my wit's end and out of idea. Before I do something like stick a fork in it and part it out, does anyone have any ideas of other things I should check?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

DId you try with another gun board?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No, unfortunately I don't have a spare gun board and this is my only Naomi-based game so I can't really swap parts out to troubleshoot the issue.

I made a bit of progress with the game tonight. I pulled the monitor shroud with the I/R sensors and reseated all of the connectors. I also reseated the only socketed chip on the gun board.

After all that the guns somewhat work. I'm now able to target all 4 quadrants in the gun adjustment menu. However the target seems to jump around quite a bit, which makes game play interesting to say the least (it does this with both manual calibration of the guns as well as the factory default setting).

Attached is a quick video that I made tonight that shows the target jumping around. I also switch to the Nightshot feature on the camera near the end to show the I/R sensors.

Any ideas what I should try next? I'm thinking I/R sensors, but I'd really rather avoid just blindly throwing parts at it since that can get expensive quick. Also, I hesitate to do that since the game was working fine prior to me pulling, recapping and replacing the monitor.

Here's a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9PjSaWavkE
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Given both guns are doing it, it could be a noisy supply to the gun sensors or gun board.

If only one gun then suspect either the op-amps on the sensor board or the quadrant sensor (which is, I suspect, unfixable).

Bill