Connecting coin mech to Sega I/O board

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Connecting coin mech to Sega I/O board

Post by OldFoo »

I've got my Naomi 2 all working fine, but only in freeplay. I'm confused about how to wire in an electronic coin mech to the jamma harness on a Sega I/o board (Rev B)

I have one of these and it has 5 wires

I've wired up the 12V and ground easy enough. I've got the coin signal wired up to pin 16 (Coin1) on the jamma harness. Is this right? I left the two grey wires that connect to a coin meter open.

On the JVS input test I get a number 4 in the first digit, and when I put a coin in it changes to a 0 for a second or two, and then back to 4. So that seemed OK, but I get a Coin error in Shooting Love 2007, and Cosmic Smash works but doesn't register any credits.

I thought it had something to do with not having a coin meter. I hooked up pin 8 (Coin meter 1) to a 100ohm resistor and then a 5V wire, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Any suggestions?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I believe it's supposed to be a 100K resistor, not 100. ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks Joshua. I tried that but still no dice.

Is there a wiring diagram anywhere on how an electronic coin mech is supposed to be hooked into a Jamma harness, preferably specifically related to the NAOMI, but any jamma related arcade board should be the same right? I've tried to find it but Google has not been my friend.

I'm on the verge of giving up and just leaving it in freeplay, but you lose that risk/reward aspect in an arcade game without a coin mech, even if all the coins end up back in your own pocket anyway.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

This is probably the closest thing you can get to a diagram you are asking for:-->Universal Wiring Diagram<-- . The 'symbol' for the counter is generic, so as long as you follow the diagram, you should be able to get it working.