Naomi 1 w/ Net DIMM 4.01 Setup

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You need a Sun PSU that hooks directly to the Naomi to be able to power it with the NetDIMM, even without a GDROM. You shouldn't hook two power supplies to the Naomi (via a Y cable or whatever) at the time, as it causes issues. With a Sun PS, you'll have to use two power supplies in total with a Capcom I/O, the JAMMA PS you use now to power just the Capcom I/O, and then a Sun or other JVS PS to power the Naomi itself. The current 8-prong AMP connector going from the Capcom gets disconnected.

The Capcom I/O's power converter doesn't seem to be able to handle the power demands of the NetDIMM, and you can't hook a JAMMA PS to the Naomi directly as the Naomi needs 3.3V that the JAMMA PS doesn't output.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

tom61 wrote:You need a Sun PSU that hooks directly to the Naomi to be able to power it with the NetDIMM, even without a GDROM. You shouldn't hook two power supplies to the Naomi (via a Y cable or whatever) at the time, as it causes issues. With a Sun PS, you'll have to use two power supplies in total with a Capcom I/O, the JAMMA PS you use now to power just the Capcom I/O, and then a Sun or other JVS PS to power the Naomi itself. The current 8-prong AMP connector going from the Capcom gets disconnected.

The Capcom I/O's power converter doesn't seem to be able to handle the power demands of the NetDIMM, and you can't hook a JAMMA PS to the Naomi directly as the Naomi needs 3.3V that the JAMMA PS doesn't output.

:smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Got it. Makes perfect sense. Going to try and find a crimping tool w/ edge connectors today and will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks again for all the help and advice!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:
tom61 wrote:You need a Sun PSU that hooks directly to the Naomi to be able to power it with the NetDIMM, even without a GDROM. You shouldn't hook two power supplies to the Naomi (via a Y cable or whatever) at the time, as it causes issues. With a Sun PS, you'll have to use two power supplies in total with a Capcom I/O, the JAMMA PS you use now to power just the Capcom I/O, and then a Sun or other JVS PS to power the Naomi itself. The current 8-prong AMP connector going from the Capcom gets disconnected.

:smt023

yes you need to power the naomi and dimm directly with a naomi power supplier ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Success! I just wanted to thank everyone for their help and provide a quick update for anyone struggling with the same issue. I hooked up the ATX power supply as suggested directly to the Naomi 1 board and left the other power supply running only to the Capcom I/O and made sure all the voltages checked out. I actually still got a black screen when I booted, so I removed the top part of the DIMM board and then got the Naomi screen with an error message which was actually great progress. I then reconnected the top board, moved the jumpers and security chip around and eventually it booted with the network message.

Thanks again for all the help and advice.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You're welcome. Good to see it is all sorted now! :-)