Preferred Power Supply: Naomi Vs Naomi 02

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Preferred Power Supply: Naomi Vs Naomi 02

Post by OldFoo »

I currently own Capcom Vs SNK 2 and a Guilty Gear Accent Core GD Rom. If I'm correct I'm aware that you can play Naomi GD rom games on Naomi 02 motherboards.

So my question is:

If I bought a Naomi 2 motherboard and hooked it up to Naomi GD Rom games like Capcom VS SNK 2 and Guilty Gear Accent Core would I still need that extra power supply for the GD Rom? Or does the Naomi 2 have enough juice to power everything on a regular American Arcade cabinet power supply?

Personally I don't like the idea of having to run two power supplies just to run Naomi GD rom games. If the Naomi 2 only needs one power supply unit to run these games than it would be a much cleaner setup:)

Also if you can run Guilty Gear Accent Core on a Naomi 02 motherboard what kind of region BIOS would it need?

Thank you.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The Naomi 2 consumes even more power than a Naomi 1, you have to use a Sun PSU with it and GD-Rom (and it'd be a good idea even without).

You could replace your Capcom I/O with a Sega JAMMA I/O (will need split off of the GDROM power cable) and an audio amp and be able to run just the Sun powersupply and a transformer for the Sega Amp.

As for BIOS, you'd need the same region it'd need on Naomi 1. If in doubt, buy a Japanese BIOS, every GD-ROM should work on that region.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Good to know.

So when you use the Sun PSU for the GD Rom, do you have to plug in both power supplies to the outlet? In other words do two cord come out of the machine? If that's the case I'm gonna have to make a hole in my cabinet for the other cord:(
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Personally, I'd just wire the Sun powersupply into the filter/breakout already in the cabinet. If you go with the Sega JAMMA I/O you could just remove the wires going into the JAMMA powersupply and wire them to the Sun powersupply instead.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i have a generic machine working in a little market store with the MB AC.

i`m working this board (naomi 2) with only 1 P. supply...the difference is , i use a sega bypass cable for this ...

the Sun P.S. (original sega ,of course ..) gives energy to :

the mobo

the capcom I/O

the GDrom unit

this machine works 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. ....every days. :smt066
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I also have a sun psu, it has 3 plugs, one goes directly to naomi, 1 gets split and goes to naomi then gdrom, the third is what im going to power the i/o board, is that where you use a sega bypass cable? where do you find "sega bypass cable"