Naomi Error 03 on startup

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi Error 03 on startup

Post by OldFoo »

Hey there, looking for some help here,

I picked up a nice Naomi Uni cab recently. Unfortunately I get an 'Error 03 Board Malfunctioning' on startup, regardless of the cart I have installed (both carts I tried test fine on my Crazy Taxi UR). What's more, Error 03 shows when no cart is inserted... all of which leads me to believe it's not an issue with the cart/DIMM. Connector pins look fine (nothing bent), and all connections are in place and well seated.

Is there something else I should look at? If the Naomi mobo is the culprit, what can be done to fix it? Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Go into test mode and run the memory test. It's possible one or more of the RAM chips are bad, as it was in Naomi I had giving me error 03. Unless you can handle SMT soldering, it'd be cheaper to just get another Naomi if that's the case.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Error 03 means the EEProm Serial is protection, it only affects the old type mobos with the SanAce fan.

The newer types do not use a protected eeprom for the serial, it is cheaper to get another naomi 1 mobo than to get a replacement eeprom.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Interesting. I believe it to be an older mobo with a serial starting at '840', but will double check tonight. I did run the RAM test and everything checked out, all ICs reporting as good.

I grabbed another mobo off ebay last night, so will probably just replace it in the end.

Andy, I remember you saying a while back that Naomi 1 mobos are getting harder to find, particularly the newer ones. Are the older units just prone to this failure over time? How do I recognize a newer unit? Is the fan a good indicator? I couldn't find your post as I believe it was in the for sale section which gets pruned after 1 page....
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

fuko wrote:Interesting. I believe it to be an older mobo with a serial starting at '840', but will double check tonight. I did run the RAM test and everything checked out, all ICs reporting as good.

I grabbed another mobo off ebay last night, so will probably just replace it in the end.

Andy, I remember you saying a while back that Naomi 1 mobos are getting harder to find, particularly the newer ones. Are the older units just prone to this failure over time? How do I recognize a newer unit? Is the fan a good indicator? I couldn't find your post as I believe it was in the for sale section which gets pruned after 1 page....

The original naomi's are hard to find, the others are not..

You need an original one for F355/Strike/Airline pilots.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:

Does Hotd2 run on orinigal too?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

zitoun wrote:
AndyGeezer wrote:

Does Hotd2 run on orinigal too?

HOTD2 can work on the -02 one also, but not the smaller one or CRX one.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Error 03 means the EEProm Serial is protection, it only affects the old type mobos with the SanAce fan.

The newer types do not use a protected eeprom for the serial, it is cheaper to get another naomi 1 mobo than to get a replacement eeprom.

happens to me, on a board ....

in practice, what to do on the mobo?

I regret throwing it.

I tried to replace the bios ... but to no avail. always error3 :smt017
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Error 03 means the EEProm Serial is protection, it only affects the old type mobos with the SanAce fan.

Hmm... Being owner of such board, would backing up the EEPROM save me trouble ahead?