Capcom Snk Conitinously reboots - need help

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Capcom Snk Conitinously reboots - need help

Post by OldFoo »

My capcom snk 2000 will load to the capcom version and international disclaimer screen, and then the system will promptly reboot. It will do this infinitely until turned off. It had been working without any errors. I checked voltages and they seemed ok. +5 seemed high at the power supply, measured about 5.22 at the MB itself, other voltages checked out fine. Where should I begin looking?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi there,

First turn down 5V to read about 5.15. Have to start somewhere ;-) 5.22 is a bit too high.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:Hi there,

First turn down 5V to read about 5.15. Have to start somewhere ;-) 5.22 is a bit too high.

just to be sure..... check voltages while motherbard wired and on!!!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, I've already adjusted the +5v down. It's reading about 5.05 at the MB and all other voltages are within tolerance. Found a bunch of caked up dirt inside the cart under the vent holes and cleaned it all up, but still no luck. Rebooting at the same spot every time, definitely making me think it's a rom or ram error.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Run the RAM and ROM tests from the service menu, that should tell you if either is bad.

Have you checked inside the Naomi? If the cart has that much dirt in it, it may be clogging a heat sink inside the main unit as well.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Will I be able to run the ram/rom tests without booting the game up? I did clean up the naomi board. It wasn't very dirty to be honest, went ahead and changed the super cap by the lithium battery too. I will try to get test menu running.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So long as it displays the boot logo you should be able to get into both RAM and ROM tests.