Sega type 2 IR gun trouble - help wanted

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Sega type 2 IR gun trouble - help wanted

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all,

I'm hoping some of the sega ir gun veterans can assist me. I am having trouble with a new Virtua Cop 3 set up (not naomi, I know; but I'm hoping those with the ir gun know-how can help).

I have a HotD2 set-up that I was having trouble with a few months back (1 player gun not calibrating correctly) and I got lucky and traced it back to a loose wire on the gun sensor board connector.

Fast forward to today and I just picked up a VC3 set up also with a 1 player gun not calibrating correctly (player 2 works fine). I swapped the harnesses around and verified that the problem stays on the 1 player side and does not follow the gun. I checked the gun sensor board and the connector wiring all seems to be in order. IR sensors are lit.

Now is where the trouble really starts: I suspected a bad gun i/o board next, so swapped the gun i/o board from HotD2 and VC3 (same type boards) and the problem persists. VC3 remains unchanged and HotD2 works fine with VC3's i/o board.

However, when I swapped them back now the 1 player side on HotD2 does not detect correctly! It is behaving the same as VC3 with the gun not being detected when pointed at the screen or just being detected in the bottom left corner.

So now both games have problems. I suspect whatever problem exists in VC3 it has infected my HotD2 gun i/o board.

What could be the problem here? I figured it had to be a bad gun i/o board but what could be killing the 1 player side on these i/o boards?

I'm ready to throw in the towel. Any help is greatly appreciated.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Blimey, I wouldn't risk another gun board till you've got this sussed, your not using the gun protection boards are you?I know these are tbh total shite and cause a certain degree of inaccuracy I thought my vc3 gun board was broke when I tried using them.

If not I'd try the 12v ?? That's powering the board to be sure its not too high maybe.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thechop wrote:Blimey, your not using the gun protection boards are you?.

You're talking about that

http://www.sauservice.com/IRProtector.html

?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah but Come to think of it it was being used on a Lindbergh setup so that may have been the problem with it although I'm sure I tried it on VC3 too, affected the accuracy if I remember correctly.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Those gun protector boards are naff, do not use them, Japan doesn't recommend them, and they are just a Sega USA dist product to please operators who where sick of the guns going faulty.

They protect the guns because they no longer work and the accuracy is so bad, that people no longer play the game!!! :smt005