Naomi Dimm Dead?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi Dimm Dead?

Post by OldFoo »

Went to play some GDrom action on my Naomi a few days ago, removed the cart put in the Dimm, connected up to the GDrom etc and all i got is was a flicking red/black screen, kinda like the screen won't sync.

Put the game cart back in, instantly boots up perfect.

I did have a few problems with it before but after a couple of tries it usually started working but after trying for an hour i got nothing from it this time, anyone have any ideas?

Easy repair or time to buy a new one?

[youtube]UqolUsfO9nE[/youtube]

Thanks in advance guys!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Check your voltages. The DIMM and GDRom consume more amperage than just a cart.

If they check out, take the DIMM unit apart and re-seat (remove and put back in) the DIMMs inside, and make sure the media board (little board with the SCSI connector) is inserted well when you re-assemble it.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the Reply.

The Naomi and GDrom is powered straight from the CAB ( i have a Blast City ) the jamma is only used inputs. It worked for months no problems which is ths strange thing, i have took it apart and reseated the dimms and still no joy :(

I'll have a look at my voltages but last time i checked they were fine.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Is the battery still in it? The DIMM unit sometimes acts oddly if the battery is low.

You try swapping the DIMMs around. I've had PCs where one DIMM had developed a fault to where the machine wouldn't even POST with the bad RAM in slot 1, but in slot 2 it'd at least POST and diagnostics could be run.

Other that, it may just be dead. The few I've had that were dead would either stick to a just black screen, or give error 01. Not sure why it'd be flashing red in your case.