Card Reader - doesn't print

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Card Reader - doesn't print

Post by OldFoo »

Hi

The card reader in my ID3 cab doesn't print onto the front of the cards, it does everything else, dispenses, reads & writes etc but the front card data is not printed on the front.

Do they use some crude ink system or themal system that needs replenishing ?

I've never worked on one before so just want to know how they work before i start ripping it to bits.

If anyone has any pointers that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Setch
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'm not sure what you mean. I've never known any of the InitialD cabs to print anything. :smt017

If anything, the front of the cards are just for writing your name or anything you want.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi

I was under the impression the information that you have been writing on the cards should be printed by the card reader.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen used cards that have been printed and was led to believe this is how they worked ?

setch
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think there are a few games that incorporate a printer, but Initial D is not one of them. I have 2 card readers and have read the game's manuals and there is no attached printer nor is there any mention of one.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I believe later versions of ID (on Lindbergh) do print text on the cards. Perhaps that is what causes this minor confusion ;-)?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Cageman wrote:I believe later versions of ID (on Lindbergh) do print text on the cards. Perhaps that is what causes this minor confusion ;-)?
That would explain things. Then any printing on cards would only to apply to InitialD 4 and beyond. This would also confirm that ID 1-3 do not use/support printing.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:That would explain things. Then any printing on cards would only to apply to InitialD 4 and beyond. This would also confirm that ID 1-3 do not use/support printing.

Nope ID1 should print:

-your name

-your car name

and something other I can't remember right now
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

The other half of the twin I brought does print on the cards.

name

car

Stages cleared

Id like to get to the bottom of this., looking at the card reader I think it's some kind of thermal process.

Setch
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi

A quick update on this, after a little dissecting I have found a TDK thermal printhead built into the top section of the card reader.

I've not managed to match the part number yet but initial findings indicate that they aren't cheap to replace.

The investigation continues...
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

That's very strange. I've played Initial D and there was never any printing involved. And I see no mention of it in the game's manual. I even have the entire card reader assembly! Maybe it's a UK thing? :smt017