Hooking up an Initial D card reader [painfully stupid Qs]

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Hooking up an Initial D card reader [painfully stupid Qs]

Post by OldFoo »

I've got Initial D v 3 running in a Crazy Taxi cabinet; I'm wondering how exactly I go about wiring up the card reader.

The card reader seems to have a 15-pin wiring harness coming off of it, if that information helps...

(also, on a slightly related note, were there just cards for specific upgrades and cards for this game, or were there cards that you could store specific data on? Where's the best place to get any cards that were made for the game?)

Thanks

Collin
OldFoo

Re: Hooking up an Initial D card reader [painfully stupid Qs

Post by OldFoo »

You can get cards from AGS, or ebay, or wherever.

There's just 1 version of ID cards, mainly to track your stuff and enable you to do upgrades on your car.By now you probably found out that ID is no fun without card reader at all, as you can't upgrade anything.

Have you tried opening op the Crazy Taxi Control Panel (unscrew the 3 big screws on top of the panel, then you can pull it down and it will be open) and connecting the card reader there? It should have the connection for the 15 pin connector there if i'm correct.

MmSadda wrote:I've got Initial D v 3 running in a Crazy Taxi cabinet; I'm wondering how exactly I go about wiring up the card reader.

The card reader seems to have a 15-pin wiring harness coming off of it, if that information helps...

(also, on a slightly related note, were there just cards for specific upgrades and cards for this game, or were there cards that you could store specific data on? Where's the best place to get any cards that were made for the game?)

Thanks

Collin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

doesnt the card reader run off its own power supply?

i was under the impression it did.

im wanting to do exactly the same as the OP when i can source an ID card reader.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

donkeykong wrote:doesnt the card reader run off its own power supply?

I was under the impression it did.

im wanting to do exactly the same as the OP when I can source an ID card reader.

it does have its own psu, it's a separate pcb
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Jiggymf wrote:

im wanting to do exactly the same as the OP when I can source an ID card reader.

Oh damn.... what do they look like? Any suggestions on where to find one?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda wrote:
Jiggymf wrote:

Oh damn.... what do they look like? Any suggestions on where to find one?

I know one for sale for you, i'll pm you the details before someone else nicks it from the URL i would paste here :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda,how you getting on with it?

take some pics of it all wired up
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

ive found a post from another forum where this was wrote.

Connect 6pin JST connector to CN8 on naomi, Then take power(+12v/+5v) from PSU.

<CR>

1 +5v

2 GND

3 GND

4 +12v

5 +12v

Your set up seems to have only one PSU, but original cab has +12v PSU separately for CR.

Not sure if it makes unstable running game if taken from one PSU, but if it does, please add and take +12v separately.

I think you might need to swap that silver piping to larger size,also extend CR harness to wire all CR wirings.

can anyone say for sure this is how you set it up,or as jiggy says plug the 15 pin harness straight into the crazy taxi cab?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

donkeykong wrote:ive found a post from another forum where this was wrote.

Connect 6pin JST connector to CN8 on naomi, Then take power(+12v/+5v) from PSU.

<CR>

1 +5v

2 GND

3 GND

4 +12v

5 +12v

Your set up seems to have only one PSU, but original cab has +12v PSU separately for CR.

Not sure if it makes unstable running game if taken from one PSU, but if it does, please add and take +12v separately.

I think you might need to swap that silver piping to larger size,also extend CR harness to wire all CR wirings.

can anyone say for sure this is how you set it up,or as jiggy says plug the 15 pin harness straight into the crazy taxi cab?

I believe we're talking about another plug :)

You need the separate PSU to power it (it's a small pcb-ish thingie), shouldn't hook the power up to the JVS psu
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Can anyone show me a few pictures of how their Initial D card reader PSUs hook up to the rest of the wiring in the cabinet?

Thanks, Jiggymf and Donkeykong, for all of your input and help! Going back and looking at this thread since my last post actually answered part of the question I originally had - just need to figure out how to hook up the card reader PSU to the cab and CR now.