Hooking up an Initial D card reader [painfully stupid Qs]

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Here's what I'm looking at right now:

Not sure where exactly I should hook up any of the connectors coming off the CRs or CR PSUs.... any advice would be much appreciated.

...Also, I'm concerned that the two card readers (which came from the same source) have two different connectors on them. Plus, looks like the pink and blue wires coming off one of the CR PSUs has been cut off....
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i know how to do it now.i got some great help from outrun2.dunno if hes on here though.i purchased a card resder off him and he sent me a pic detailing how to do it.

let me dig the pic out and i'll post it in a bit.

cheers
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

hope this helps.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

donkeykong wrote:I know how to do it now.I got some great help from outrun2.dunno if hes on here though.I purchased a card resder off him and he sent me a pic detailing how to do it.

let me dig the pic out and I'll post it in a bit.

cheers

Hey man, yes, I'm on here ;)

Glad the picture helped and hopefully it'll help the OP as well.

MmSadda wrote:looks like the pink and blue wires coming off one of the CR PSUs has been cut off....

Don't worry about this, it's normal to have to cut off these wires to remove from the cab as they are split from the supply to the PSU and cabinet fan (if fitted). Just wire it back in as shown in the pic and it should be fine.

It looks like the only problem you'll have is connecting the yellow connector from the card reader PSU to the large white connector on the card reader. The card readers I've seen don't have this style of connector. I think you're missing a cable that goes between the two which doesn't surprise me as it took me ages to get this part of the loom out of my cab - I doubt most operators would bother! :smt018

You might be lucky, do the cable colours match up between these connectors? If not, can you go back to the guy who sold you the card readers and ask him to check to see if the extra cabling is available?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You've got a mixture of US (Molex) wiring and UK/JAP (AMP-UP) wiring.

First stage is to sort the power out.

The card reader itself needs 12V(at about 6amps) and a 5V (the 5V can be obtained from the Sun JVS PSU - but not the 12V!) - looking at the pic you have the seperate 6.3A 12V PSU.

The PSU is easy enough to wire up.

You got a pink/blue wire (which is 100V - tap it from your power distrubtion board) and then from there you should have a JST VH connector, it's marked, but it should have about 2 or 3 pins of 12V (Red) and 2 or 3 pins of GND (White), also in the loom should be 5V (Yellow) which you will need to splice into your regular Naomi PSU.

Connect/modify the wiring all the way to the card reader - that's the power sorted.

The TX/RX wire (RS422 serial cable) is RF Sheilded (in a grey cable) - the JST NH connector (7pin IIRC) hooks into the Naomi 2 mainboard, this wire should go all the way into the reader (it's all on the Molex conector, but the colours should match).

Finally you need to make your Naomi 2 is setup for serial TX/RX by checking the jumpers.

A row of 7 jumpers (blue)

I hope that helped a little.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Donkeykong, Outrun2, andygeezer, thank you all for your help, I feel pretty confident I can get this sorted this weekend.

Just wanted to clarify one thing - the data gets from the card reader to he mobo via CN8, right?

Thanks

Collin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yep thats right CN8
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Andy,

Can you clarify for me why you cant take 12v from the PSU?

Probably obvious to some but not to me.

ID definately needs the card reader.its like a totally different game without it.

And the music is awsome,even better than Wangan Midnight(Andy ;) )
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

From this picture, I'm missing the cable with the yellow molex connectors that goes between the PSU wiring harness and card reader wiring harness.

I'm trying to get that wiring from the guy who sold me what was supposed to be complete wiring between the readers and PSUs... in case I can't, I may need to figure out what wire does what so I can re-wire stuff myself.

On the PSU, I've got the following color wires:

Red/yellow/white power wiring

and the following going to molex for CN8 on mobo

Blue

red

green

yellow

white

On the card reader, I've got:

red/yellow/white power wiring

white/black stripe

brown

red/black stripe

green

black

I'm not sure which wires mate up with which, other than the red/yellow/white power wiring. Anyone happen to track down which wires mate up to which?

Thanks

Collin
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can try to send Mo from Videotronicsuk.com a mail, he tends to have cardreader wiring spare regularly from parting out cabinets