Sega Daytona USA - to other driving games

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Sega Daytona USA - to other driving games

Post by OldFoo »

I have a 3rd Sega Daytona USA cabinet. It has a bad main board.

Instead of getting the main-board fixed I am wondering if I can convert the cabinet to a different driving game.

I would like to make it into a Crazy Taxi or Emergency Call Ambulance.

I am guessing I would need a "Sega I/O Board 837-13551" (which I have out of a HOD2).

Is this possible or would it be such a drastic amount of work that it would be better to just find a Crazy Taxi?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Can be done but Lots of work, you need way more then just the Jvs i/o.

You need complete jvs wiring, a drive board for CT (else no FF), a jvs or model 3 forcefeedback unit, also your monitor will only be able to display 15khz as a daytona monitor only does 15-24 khz ingeneral. You need a psu suitable for jvs (or mod the existing one).

Just plugging in another model 2 game also is alot of work (Sega Rally for instance) as for starters the wiring is COMPLETELY different
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have 2 extra monitors that are 15/24 switchable. I also may be able to get a High Res monitor into the cabinet.

I have several Naomi PSU units.

So I would still need wiring harness or I would have to build one (not a lot of fun but doable)

I forgot about the FF board. I would need to obtain one of those as well.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Like Jiggy says, this is no easy job though I've never actually tried it. SkiDog on here was selling the guts of an iD cab so maybe have a look there for the wiring - no ff board required for CT as the game doesn't support ff (not officially anyway).

Good luck and report back if you give it a try :)