Crazy Taxi High Roller Chihiro Boards Shut Down on Boot

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Crazy Taxi High Roller Chihiro Boards Shut Down on Boot

Post by OldFoo »

I have a Crazy Taxi High Roller that worked perfectly well for about 2 years. Now, when you power it up the led's light up on all of the boards as usual, but the motherboard and other boards shut right back down, leaving only a small board at the base of the cabinet with lights. There is nothing going out to the monitor at any time. Everything else seems normal (monitor displays "No Signal", steering wheel boards do some initialization, etc.). What's the most likely issue?

Thanks for any help!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Have a spare jvs psu to test, or a multimeter to check voltages on existing one?

Other option could be a cap problem, which is quite common with chihiro.

High roller is type1 so you can also try another dimm board.

Is the chihiro completely shutting down or dou you still see leds burning (if so, which one and are there any blinking)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I have a Club Kart European so I should be able to do a Power Supply switch. The LEDs all come on, and then shut off. Only a couple on a small board at the bottom of the cabinet stay on (the game is at my office so I'm doing this from memory--I would have to look to see what board is still lit). Nothing blinks; the main boards shut down and the GD-ROM never spins up.

I didn't have a multimeter with me but probably just easier to swap the supplies to know for sure.

Thanks
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I swapped in a good working power supply and had the same problem. Actually, the boards that keep running are not on the PC power supply, so when it is disconnected I end up in the same state.

I disconnected the GD-ROM and the motherboard powers up fine, leading to an error 25 - no GD-ROM. Reconnected and was back to failure. So, there is something wrong with the GD-ROM, more than likely. I'll find a replacement for it and see what happens.