Sega GT Plus Twin Communication Play Problem

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Sega GT Plus Twin Communication Play Problem

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

I have a Sega GT Plus Twin that does not maintain network communication between the two units. At random times, either during or race or just in attract mode -- communication will be interrupted and the machines will revert back to a network check. There are no errors on the board and the machines startup fine.

The cables I'm using now are original. I've tried using off-the-shelf toslink optical cables and have the same results. I've checked the connection points for dust/etc and used canned air spray to clean them.

The machines generally run well, but have seen their share of repair work. New power cord, new drive board, replaced drive control board rom, upgraded roms for 'GT Plus' on the main board, and new fuses. Before and after this work -- maintaining communication play has always been an issue -- however, it seems to be a more frequent issue than before.

Given I've tried replacing the cables and checked the connectors -- I was hoping someone could point me to a possible cause I should be looking at -- or should I just try jostling wires around, etc.?

thx,

Dave
OldFoo

Re: Sega GT Plus Twin Communication Play Problem

Post by OldFoo »

peckda wrote:Hi,

I have a Sega GT Plus Twin that does not maintain network communication between the two units. At random times, either during or race or just in attract mode -- communication will be interrupted and the machines will revert back to a network check. There are no errors on the board and the machines startup fine.

The cables I'm using now are original. I've tried using off-the-shelf toslink optical cables and have the same results. I've checked the connection points for dust/etc and used canned air spray to clean them.

The machines generally run well, but have seen their share of repair work. New power cord, new drive board, replaced drive control board rom, upgraded roms for 'GT Plus' on the main board, and new fuses. Before and after this work -- maintaining communication play has always been an issue -- however, it seems to be a more frequent issue than before.

Given I've tried replacing the cables and checked the connectors -- I was hoping someone could point me to a possible cause I should be looking at -- or should I just try jostling wires around, etc.?

thx,

Dave

It could be a network related component or IC is failing. Try checking the power and look for any buldging caps I'd say but it's best to wait till someone more knowledgable can help
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

to check TOS link cables are okay, the best way is to use a 5.1 audio setup and playing a DVD via digital.

If you get audio dropouts then you know the cable is cracking and needs replacing.

But the chances are you have a faulty com board.

You can also do a loop back test on Model 2/3.

Simpy loop the cable from RX/TX (so it's on the same filterboard), then set the cabinet type to Master.

You should see the game saying "Up to 1 player can race", if you get a network error/crash then you know the com board is bad.