How to *fool* a F-zero AX DLX machine?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

How to *fool* a F-zero AX DLX machine?

Post by OldFoo »

I recently purchased a F-zero AX DLX machine with motion issues. It starts up, loads the game but then gets stuck at the "motor initializing" screen. I've called Sega about this but eventually it turns out they can't help but that's not a problem. I would very much like to play the game but the machine waits for a "ok you're good to go" signal from the motor pcb's which it never gets. This is done according to Sega to prevent the machine from booting with a crooked seat for example.

Well, on my machine the seat is straight and I would be very happy if I just could play the game without motion. So my question is, is there a way to fool or adjust the main board or something else to let it think it's a twin instead of a DLX? As far as I know the software for both is the same...

Thanks in advance
OldFoo

Re: How to *fool* a F-zero AX DLX machine?

Post by OldFoo »

arcadia amusements wrote:I recently purchased a F-zero AX DLX machine with motion issues. It starts up, loads the game but then gets stuck at the "motor initializing" screen. I've called Sega about this but eventually it turns out they can't help but that's not a problem. I would very much like to play the game but the machine waits for a "ok you're good to go" signal from the motor pcb's which it never gets. This is done according to Sega to prevent the machine from booting with a crooked seat for example.

Well, on my machine the seat is straight and I would be very happy if I just could play the game without motion. So my question is, is there a way to fool or adjust the main board or something else to let it think it's a twin instead of a DLX? As far as I know the software for both is the same...

Thanks in advance

Usually you can disable this check in the service menu. For some game you also have the option of setting the cabinet type (for example to upright, which you wont have for fzero, or 'normal/non-deluxe' which you want as that doesnt have the motion check).
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Unfortunately, it isn't that easy. there are no such options available in the service menu. i really looked everywhere.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's prolly not possible to run the game as on the standard cab as motor boards are different (838-12912-01 on DLX / 838-14174 on standard) and there is a "motor initializing" on the standard too.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

guerrier-ame_vilca wrote:It's prolly not possible to run the game as on the standard cab as motor boards are different (838-12912-01 on DLX / 838-14174 on standard) and there is a "motor initializing" on the standard too.

That 838-14174 is used in several sega jvs based driving cabs, very likely swapping that driveboard in will mean the game will work without the motion. The only thing to find out is if the triforce gdrom for the motion version is the same gdrom as the 'normal' version.

I for one havent found any different discs thoug for fzero, i think its all the same gdrom for all cabinet types.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You can fool F-Zero AX.

On the boot process, keep turning the steering wheel left and right fully until the game reaches the title screen.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:You can fool F-Zero AX.

On the boot process, keep turning the steering wheel left and right fully until the game reaches the title screen.

:D funny stuff :-)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I know, I know.. I am the king LOL :smt061