(help)can my sega naomi be modded to run gdrom files?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

(help)can my sega naomi be modded to run gdrom files?

Post by OldFoo »

i have 1 game atm virtual tennis which i dont play at all

so my cabinet is just gathering dust

is it possible to mod it so i can run roms?

also i wou;ld love to restore the cab to its former glory

any help appreciated

mike
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

if anyone is selling a net dimm board cheap pls let me know
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Virtua Tennis comes in 2 flavours, either a rom cartridge, or a gd-rom.

I'm guessing you have the cartridge version, and would like to also run gd-rom games.

What you need for this is the following:

- DIMM board (doesn't have to be a NET board, though that's also fine of course)

- GD-ROM player

- GD-ROM power loom (to draw power from the PSU, to power the gd-rom

- GD-ROM SCSI cable, to hook up the gd-rom to the DIMM board

- a GD-ROM game, this is a gd-rom (which in its turn is like a CD but with some more data that can be stored on it), and a security key chip (a little black chip which you plug in your DIMM board, and acts like copy-protection for the GD-ROM)

That's it basically. It also never hurts to have some BIOS eprom's for your naomi lying around if you are going to play several games, some games require a special revision of the bios, not to mention the difference in regions for bios-es and games.

Also, if you play a game that requires more buttons then you might need to add buttons to your control panel, or buy a control panel with more buttons and a button loom to accomodate this. I believe standard Virtua Tennis panels have 3 buttons on it per side, which is enough to play most naomi games (just fighters tend to use more buttons).

You can of course also play other Cartrdiges without all of the above by just plugging in another one.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

im presumimg the OP wants to go down the net booting route.

correct me if im wrong OP.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Right. What was i thinking, original/legit software. Puh. :smt014 :smt013
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

To answer your original question, it is possible to run games without owning the original cart/disc. The issue is you need alot of things before getting this to happen. Some things are harder to get than others and some items can dig into your wallet. There are some false reports that the upload takes alot of time to complete when it actually takes 30-45 seconds.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Might want to add that using software you don't own is illegal, you shouldn't do it, it destroys the arcade scene.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

joshua3dg wrote:To answer your original question, it is possible to run games without owning the original cart/disc. The issue is you need alot of things before getting this to happen. Some things are harder to get than others and some items can dig into your wallet. There are some false reports that the upload takes alot of time to complete when it actually takes 30-45 seconds.

Yep, done it on Naomi and Triforce, takes sometimes as much as a minute to load, restarts and plays. Only problem is that, as said, it's illegall to run software you don't own and further more help regarding netbooting is taboo here. You might have better luck with online guides or other forums, but people won't support that here.

You'd need a NET Dimm however and a special hcip. NET DIMMs can be bought here for a fairly large amount, and net booting chips you'll have to ebay. Altough I heard of a way to do it without a chip, I won't dicuss it here.