Chihiro with no picture

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Chihiro with no picture

Post by OldFoo »

Hi, I have a problem with my Virtua Cop 3 deluxe cab in which it turns on but there is no picture signal going to the monitor. Long story short....I stripped the motherboard down to clean it out as it was overheating and it was very dusty inside. thought I'd try the GPU fan in my PC to see if it was still working and it was dead so I replaced the fan. Put it all back together and now I have no picture signal.

The avip cable is connected and everything is connected up inside but now it refuses to boot. it has power, the 3 LEDs showing what power is present 3v 5v 12v are lit but the status LEDs are off with no signs of life. I believe it is the Type 1 Chihiro motherboard with 512mb on DIMM Firmware 3.03

Is there anything else I can try to narrow down this problem? I've tried the monitor with a different source and it's ok so it's not that, it's definitley something to do with the motherboard. I'm new to the Chihiro and I'm stuck. Does it refuse to boot if the GPU fan isn't working?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Sometimes they get fussy about power supplies - or the power supply stops providing another amps for the chihiro to power completely.

I'd speak to ken @ www.irepairsega.com as he knows a lot about Chihiro's
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

OK, thank you. May i add that the cab was running fine before apart from some parts of the game slowing down slightly which is why I thought I'd give it a clean out as I know heat causes electronics to slow down. It was caked inside with dust and thought I'd check the fan in my PC which showed it was dead.

I took pictures throughout the stripdown so i could remind myself how it was and i put it back together exactly how it was but I have this problem now :smt017 Not sure what to do.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

hi,

i have the same problem with vcop3. it was working some weeks ago. the status led (red and green) lit with red one blinking. i don't really remember how the status led should be.

so, i took the boards apart and clean the dust. put them again, test, and the status leds not lit at all.

i unassembled them again, and noticed there's some corrosion in bottom board near caps. i look at it closer, it looks like an elco, but it's not. i think it is somekind of battery. it is the corrosion source. clean up, pull the "battery" up, since i don't have similar component. i tried the put them again and do testing.

now, the status leds lit up again with red blinking. but still no picture. one thing i noticed, when the dimm board (upper stack board that connect to gdrom) is pulled out, the status leds has the red one blinking at first, then after sometime, they're flip flop between green and red. but still, there's no picture.

anyone can help?

thanks