Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

About setting up Naomi ...

Post by OldFoo »

Hi all, I'm trying to set up my Sega Naomi. I've:

- Sega Naomi 1 board.

- Capcom I/O (Japanese or Chinese).

- Supergun Vogatek Mk4.

- Micro ATX 350W (that is connected to Supergun).

I've also the Audio, USB, VGA wires but I haven't the power connector that connects the Capcom I/O and the Naomi Board. So, I've solded the 7 pins following this video of reference at (0:57 aprox). I've used 7 wires for sold it, I've taken out of an old and broken PSU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a25FDZ1h ... A23D54481E

So, when I turn on my Naomi I can hear the fan's loud but I don't see nothing on the TV. I connect the Naomi to the TV with a Scart cable that is connected to Supergun. I don't have any game but I would see something in the screen isn't it ?? What I'm doing wrong ?? Thank you mates !!

PD: I've look the Naomi Starter FAQ of this forum, of course !!!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's probably the 15khz/31khz DIP switch assuming nothing else is wrong. Do you have a normal VGA computer monitor you can hook the NAOMI straight to for video? Your supergun probably wants JAMMA resolution 15khz, where the computer monitor will take the 31. If it works on the computer monitor you'll need to flip the right DIP switch to make it work on the supergun... I Think its the first DIP, it's documented around here somewhere.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Oooooooooh Thank you !! It works !! I tell you:

- It only works with the PIN 1 of the DIPSW down. I've the other three pins up.

- It works connecting the Naomi directly to VGA computer monitor (or also hooking up the Naomi to LCD TV BUT only through VGA lead.

- It DOESN'T work connecting the Naomi to Capcom I/O with VGA lead and then connecting the Supergun to LCD TV with a Scart lead. I've tried to switching the PIN 1 and the others but still doesn't work. This option is that I tried before and so I didn't manage to get my Naomi working.

I've three questions :

a) Do you know where to buy the lead that connects the Naomi and Capcom I/O ?? Or another alternative to not sold the power pins ?? It 's so annoying :S

b) I don't have any game to try it but I supose that when I can play with a game, the joystick ports will work ?? I'm thinking that if the Scart option of the Supergun doesn't work, the joystick port won't work too ? :S

c) Can u recommend me a SuperGun to play Naomi ?? And why can't I use the Scart lead to connect the Naomi and the TV ??

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

As far as the power lead, maybe post a thread in the marketplace saying you want the power cable for between the capcom IO and Naomi, someone might have one.

As far as the DIPS, I leave all of mine down (away from the cartridge) and it works on regular VGA. If I put the first pin up, that changes it to the lower resolution which should work through the supergun/SCART

I don't use a supergun. I just baught a JAMMA harness to hook to the CAPCOM I/O, wired it to a normal arcade power supply, and wired up the controls to neo-geo type controller ports. I used my own pinout (arrangement of pins) for the controller ports so that I could get all 6 buttons wired up for each player. I don't know of a supergun that's going to work well for games with more than 3 or 4 buttons. Your joystick ports on your supergun should work for 3 buttons for each player with neo-geo joysticks (at least that's what most of them use).

good luck.