Chihiro error message - Caution 53

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda wrote:So, it seems this was damaged during shipping, and things were probably knocked loose and damaged; notice anything wrong here?

The RAM appears to be seated properly

I asked the seller (who I've realized seems to be on here) and he says the DIMM board is not being recognized based on this:

The SPDIF connector is nothing to worry about too much unless you want/need digital audio. I'd straighten the pins on the filterboard to prevent them shorting out
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda wrote:
AndyGeezer wrote:Ram must be either 512MB in single or 2 x 512MB

Doesn't support 256MB dimms
This is what came in it when I got it; are you saying that it clearly wouldn't function with this setup?

It looks like one is clearly a 256mb, and the other appears to be a 512mb by googling the part number. Which slot should the 512mb DIMM be installed in

I have two DIMMs out of an old computer that're 512mb, DDR, 333mhz (which I believe is higher than original spec) - would those work in this motherboard potentially? Would there be any risk of damage by trying those?

if I was you I'd remove the dimm that is clearly 256MB as it's not required and is only confusing the issue. OR2SP is a 512MB game so 1GB is not required.

Leave the dimm installed that you suspect is 512MB (either slot should be fine) and boot. If you get the same error message change JP5 and retry. If the dimm is the correct spec 512MB you should not get the error with one of these two configurations.

Report back your results.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I removed the 256mb DIMM, tried setting JP5 to each position, and still haven't seen any change.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I tested the GD-Rom drive with a Naomi 2 motherboard, and found that is dead as well. Not sure how I ended up with so many components that are dead/not as described/missing, but I'm going to have to file a paypal claim. :smt011

Here is what I was to receive: (please note, I've used *,**,***,**** to denote which components there are issues with in the list of problems below)

one complete tested/working Outrun 2 SP setup including Chihiro motherboard*, game disc and security chip**, GD Rom drive***, data cable, and power wiring harness****.

Here is the list of issues I've encountered:

*RAM provided with motherboard not correct

*Motherboard not recognizing DIMM board (broken DIMM board or motherboard)

*Pins on motherboard bent

*SPDIF connector on motherboard broken off

*Motherboard case damaged cosmetically (top scratched up, screw holes destroyed)

**Security chip casing not included (had been destroyed)

***GD-Rom drive not functional when tested with another setup

****GD-Rom power cable not included

As you can see, effectively all of the major components I was to receive are damaged, not functional, or missing. I have spent several hours troubleshooting the issues and have had no success in finding a solution.

Furthermore, the game was allegedly shipped a week after I initially paid; I was given a non-working tracking number at that time, and it wasn't until a week after that (at least two weeks after the original purchase) that the game had been shipped, per the second tracking number I finally received.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MmSadda wrote:I tested the GD-Rom drive with a Naomi 2 motherboard, and found that is dead as well. Not sure how I ended up with so many components that are dead/not as described/missing, but I'm going to have to file a paypal claim. :smt011

Here is what I was to receive: (please note, I've used *,**,***,**** to denote which components there are issues with in the list of problems below)

one complete tested/working Outrun 2 SP setup including Chihiro motherboard*, game disc and security chip**, GD Rom drive***, data cable, and power wiring harness****.

Here is the list of issues I've encountered:

*RAM provided with motherboard not correct

*Motherboard not recognizing DIMM board (broken DIMM board or motherboard)

*Pins on motherboard bent

*SPDIF connector on motherboard broken off

*Motherboard case damaged cosmetically (top scratched up, screw holes destroyed)

**Security chip casing not included (had been destroyed)

***GD-Rom drive not functional when tested with another setup

****GD-Rom power cable not included

As you can see, effectively all of the major components I was to receive are damaged, not functional, or missing. I have spent several hours troubleshooting the issues and have had no success in finding a solution.

Furthermore, the game was allegedly shipped a week after I initially paid; I was given a non-working tracking number at that time, and it wasn't until a week after that (at least two weeks after the original purchase) that the game had been shipped, per the second tracking number I finally received.

Damn, this looks like you've been mislead totally, the seller has not been honest at all.

No way can you mix ram sizes (it would never have worked with a 512MB/256MB).

GD-ROM drive sounds like it's totally dead as well.

I'd be :smt013