Chihiro error message - Caution 53

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Chihiro error message - Caution 53

Post by OldFoo »

So,I just got a Chihiro with Outrun 2 SP (all from the same person; he allegedly had it working previously.) He said before sending it out that he would have the motherboard set up properly for the larger RAM settings and whatnot.

I set the thing up in my cabinet and am getting a message "Caution 53" with this screen:

Going back and reading old threads, it looks like a jumper on the motherboard may be wrong despite the fact that this guy says he set it up properly. I'm also concerned because he said it was damaged by the Colombian post when he initially tried to send it out, and he ended up reinstalling the security chip (it looks like the case was broken,) and I've heard improper installation of the security chip can kill the game.

Any thoughts on what settings I should change to make this work?

Thanks

Collin
Last edited by OldFoo on Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just thought it would be worth mentioning, one of the two bits of RAM says it is 256mb; the other is not clearly marked.

I tried changing JP5, but that didn't change anything

In test mode, I get these screens:

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No memory is showing
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Should I try removing and re-seating the RAM?

Also, am I correct in thinking it is not recognizing the disc?

*edit* probably an unrelated issue, but the video does not seem to sync properly about half the time.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So, it seems this was damaged during shipping, and things were probably knocked loose and damaged; notice anything wrong here?

The RAM appears to be seated properly

I asked the seller (who I've realized seems to be on here) and he says the DIMM board is not being recognized based on this:

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It seems the previous owner had the same problem initially at least:

http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... 448d6e7452
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Who's the seller, hope you get a resolution though.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

purplec wrote:Who's the seller, hope you get a resolution though.

It's Mauroconga. I actually found this for sale on eBay, but in searching for a solution of my problem, stumbled on an old thread of his. To his credit, he has been very responsive and helpful via e-mail so far.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Ram must be either 512MB in single or 2 x 512MB

Doesn't support 256MB dimms
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

AndyGeezer wrote:Ram must be either 512MB in single or 2 x 512MB

Doesn't support 256MB dimms
This is what came in it when I got it; are you saying that it clearly wouldn't function with this setup?

It looks like one is clearly a 256mb, and the other appears to be a 512mb by googling the part number. Which slot should the 512mb DIMM be installed in

I have two DIMMs out of an old computer that're 512mb, DDR, 333mhz (which I believe is higher than original spec) - would those work in this motherboard potentially? Would there be any risk of damage by trying those?