Cleaning out NAOMI II MOBO

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Cleaning out NAOMI II MOBO

Post by OldFoo »

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone has pulled apart their naomi 2 mobo to clean it out? I have just purchased one from china and it arrived covered in dust on the inside and on the PCB's, the vents are full of dust and it smells like burnt electrics haha! I am going to purchase a can of compressed air and blow it clean.

To clean it, do you take all the screws out from underneath and that releases the top cover?

Anybody who can take photos of the process of removing the plastic covers, I would find it a great help (I do not want to break any clips trying to force it, as the thing looks brittle as)

Cheers!
OldFoo

Re: Cleaning out NAOMI II MOBO

Post by OldFoo »

thesparky wrote:Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone has pulled apart their naomi 2 mobo to clean it out? I have just purchased one from china and it arrived covered in dust on the inside and on the PCB's, the vents are full of dust and it smells like burnt electrics haha! I am going to purchase a can of compressed air and blow it clean.

To clean it, do you take all the screws out from underneath and that releases the top cover?

Anybody who can take photos of the process of removing the plastic covers, I would find it a great help (I do not want to break any clips trying to force it, as the thing looks brittle as)

Cheers!

Yep, that's all you need to do, just unscrew all the screws on the bottom side and pull the top straight up to take it off. Disconnect the main fan from the filter board and the you can remove the PCB by pulling it with the filter board. You can seperate the filter board from the main board by pulling it. Get a vacuum and a paint brush, brush the board clean whilst using the vacuum to suck the dust which becomes loose . The fans and heat sinks can be cleaned using the same method (remove the fans first). Try to keep the vacuum near the brush but have some distance on the board to prevent it damaging it in any way. Don't remove the heatsinks from the board as unless they are screwed on, they have thermal tape which is a bastard to replace without the heatsink falling off before it cures (in my experience anyway).

Hope this helps