Naomi -> Sigma AV7000: Help Needed

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi -> Sigma AV7000: Help Needed

Post by OldFoo »

Hey there,

I just picked up a Sega Naomi mobo and Capcom I/O.

This is my first time setting up anything other than MVS or CPS-2 on my Sigma, so I have a few questions before I blow anything up. From what I understand, using a Capcom I/O should allow me to draw power directly from the supergun, but I'm not getting audio or video at the moment. I can hear the fan, so it is receiving power. On the video side, I'm connecting to a PVM via S-video, which works fine with CPS-2 stuff so far.

Here's what it looks like right now, in terms of connections (though not in this picture I DID have my a/v cord plugged into the AV7000:]):

First, do I have to adjust anything on the Supergun end in order to get the Naomi up and running? I seem to recall reading to adjust the 5v pot up slightly in the 5.25-5.1 range, though I'm not certain.

Second, do I have the proper power cable?-- I notice some setups that use the connector to the left of what I have used. I believe its only for the GD unit but I'm not positive.

I'm at a loss, and don't want to wreck anything being hasty. Do your worst friends.

Edit:

I have used a multimeter to measure the power coming off the I/O:

I have found the 12v and 5v lines reading correctly, but the next one, which I assume should be 3.3v, is reading 0v. Does it sound like I need to be using another PSU instead?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No 3.3V = no Naomi as it it needs 3.3V

Sounds like either the wiring is not 100% or the Capcom I/O is not 100%
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for your reply.

Does it make sense that no power to the 3.3v line would yield a Naomi that powers up with Fan and LED lights but NO video or sound? This is what I am up against right now.

Now, I've tried various combinations, but I believe I have it setup correctly for my application (supergun to Sony PVM via S-video)-- 15hz dipswitch set on the mobo, and Composite sync on the Capcom I/O (with the other option being separate H/V sync)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

eczangief wrote:Thanks for your reply.

Does it make sense that no power to the 3.3v line would yield a Naomi that powers up with Fan and LED lights but NO video or sound? This is what I am up against right now.

Now, I've tried various combinations, but I believe I have it setup correctly for my application (supergun to Sony PVM via S-video)-- 15hz dipswitch set on the mobo, and Composite sync on the Capcom I/O (with the other option being separate H/V sync)

The fans run off of 12v directly from the power supply.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thank you kindly! Okay this is starting to make sense, slowly but surely.

I'll be looking into another PSU to use instead. I will update this thread as I progress.

Thanks again for helping out a new member!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If you have a volt/multimeter, you can verify if the power supply is sending 3.3v or not. Since there are many JAMMA boards that require it, I find it hard to believe that it is not supplying 3.3v. Check both before and after the Capcom I/O.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I went out and picked up a decent multimeter to double-check my readings, and with my new tool I was able to confirm that the Capcom I/O is putting out 3.3v (read exactly 3.30), in addition to the 12v (read 11.80) and 5v (read 5.15).

My power supply is built into my supergun (Sigma AV-7000), it outputs 12v, -5v, and 5v-- I was under the impression that the Capcom I/O is able to take power from a typical arcade PSU like the one built into my supergun and output 3.3v. Am I correct there?

In my limited understanding it seems to me like the Capcom I/O is behaving properly and that my Naomi mobo is now the likely problem.

I'm concerned I may have blown something, because when I measured the 5v line coming out from my supergun I got a higher reading with my new multimeter (I think it was close to 5.4 or 5.5v and I have read that 5.2 can cause major problems with the mobo).

Is there something I should check out on the mobo to see if anything has been fried?

Thanks to everyone whose weighed in so far.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

eczangief wrote:I went out and picked up a decent multimeter to double-check my readings, and with my new tool I was able to confirm that the Capcom I/O is putting out 3.3v (read exactly 3.30), in addition to the 12v (read 11.80) and 5v (read 5.15).

My power supply is built into my supergun (Sigma AV-7000), it outputs 12v, -5v, and 5v-- I was under the impression that the Capcom I/O is able to take power from a typical arcade PSU like the one built into my supergun and output 3.3v. Am I correct there?

In my limited understanding it seems to me like the Capcom I/O is behaving properly and that my Naomi mobo is now the likely problem.

I'm concerned I may have blown something, because when I measured the 5v line coming out from my supergun I got a higher reading with my new multimeter (I think it was close to 5.4 or 5.5v and I have read that 5.2 can cause major problems with the mobo).

Is there something I should check out on the mobo to see if anything has been fried?

Thanks to everyone whose weighed in so far.

There's a potentiometer or adjustment knob on most power supplies to turn the 5v down. Find it (if yours has one), and then then it down till you get around 5.1
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I was aware about the pot to adjust the 5v line on my supergun, I'm afraid I was upping it based on readings from an antiquated multimeter. Now I've got it down to 5.15 or so.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

One thing I learned the hard way, make sure you check the voltage readings under load. They'll be different when the PSU is hooked up to something.

Also, There's nowhere on a JAMMA harness for a 3.3v line... not sure how he could check before the capcom I/O unless his PSU outputs 3.3v directly, but even then, it wouldn't be hooked to the JAMMA harness on the I/O.

The capcom IO creates the 3.3v for you by converting voltage internally. If you have 5 and 12v into the capcom I/O, but no 3.3v out, it's probably the I/O (or voltage regulators inside of it) that is the problem.