Naomi -> Sigma AV7000: Help Needed

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've been making sure to test the voltage with the Naomi running. I DO in fact get 3.3v out of the I/O now that I am measuring with a new Multimeter, so I'm really confused.

I posted a similar cry for help at the Neo Geo forums: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... elp-Needed

The consensus there seems to be that even though I'm getting correct voltage, I still may be without ample Wattage. Does that sound about right?

I even tried a spare PC power supply and a second supergun that I read as outputting 12v and 5v (with 3.3 being present coming out of the I/O), and got the same results. On the tv I see a quick white flash when powered on, then just a black screen. I get this regardless of which sync mode is set.

Granted, with this setup there is still the variable of running the mobo with power routed through the I/O-- honestly I don't know how this is a factor, but again some folks over at the Neo Geo forum have suggested that the power supply in my Sigma simply doesn't have enough 'juice' to power both the I/O and the Naomi.

FWIW the specs on the power supply:

Still wondering whether a Naomi PSU is a good investment to try and arrive at a solution, but at this point I'm willing to shell out another 40 bucks.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:One thing I learned the hard way, make sure you check the voltage readings under load. They'll be different when the PSU is hooked up to something.

Also, There's nowhere on a JAMMA harness for a 3.3v line... not sure how he could check before the capcom I/O unless his PSU outputs 3.3v directly, but even then, it wouldn't be hooked to the JAMMA harness on the I/O.

The capcom IO creates the 3.3v for you by converting voltage internally. If you have 5 and 12v into the capcom I/O, but no 3.3v out, it's probably the I/O (or voltage regulators inside of it) that is the problem.
My mistake. I always make a habit of checking any voltages before and after on any connections. I didn't think all the way through to standard JAMMA outputs. :smt110

@eczangief:

Buying the Naomi PSU will solve the 'am I getting enough juice' issues, so I think you should go with that. :smt045
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Glad to hear you are getting 3.3v

Any sound on boot?

Also before you go too crazy, i'd try a normal VGA monitor with the 31khz dip setting. That way the video is straight from the NAOMI to a display.

As said though, Sun PSU (naomi PSU) is a great option if you can grab one. I use a Sun PSU for my NAOMI, but the IO is still running off a standard JAMMA supply.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

No sound on boot-- I ran directly from the Mobo to my TV's audio jack. Got nothing.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

OK, I purchased a Naomi PSU, and the voltages are all spot on. No sound. No video. Dip settings are correct. And for S's and G's I tried both sync settings on the Capcom I/O. Did I pick up a dead board?

The only thing I haven't tried is running the VGA to a PC monitor. I'm pretty flustered.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

If you didn't check the naomi before it could be not working....

Check:

1. try to pull out the game and make the naomy boot without it.

2. video dip switches to be in the right setting accordingly to the video you are used

3.check fan on video cpu, it have to be running, with sound of the big lateral running sometimes is not possible to heard the small one running

or to get confused.

If voltages are ok and the naomi doesn't boot after the above test then you need a new naomi mobo