MvC 2 Freezing ~45 minutes into play

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

MvC 2 Freezing ~45 minutes into play

Post by OldFoo »

Hey again everyone. So I got a MvC2 in a midway cab, it was working fine till I went to move it and a couple things I had sitting in the control panel fell and might of hit either the power supply or transformer (I think that's what it's called, it has a spool like ribbon). I was getting a error 1 with it even though I had the cart in there so I got another board, and unmounted it from the side to the bottom of the cab. I'm not getting the error 1 any more, but about 45 minutes in its still freezing.

I'm not for sure what else it could be but I if I could get a second opinion before I get the parts for it, it'd be appreciated.

(I'm testing to see if its the cart later today, but in the mean time I'm assuming it's not)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

First check your power supply, and if it delivers the correct voltages, especially the 5V.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

(thanks for the fast reply, sorry mine's so late; finals+had to save up a bit for a decent multimeter)

I'm getting 13.1, 4.9(8ish), and 3.1. (It was at 12.6, 4.4, 3.0 before adjusting it). It hasn't froze so far (about 6 hours), so maybe it's ok now? It's amazing how much easier it is to adjust things once you know how much it's actually changing. Is being a volt over on the 12 going to damage the board though?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I've had issues with stuff crashing from the 3.3v being too low before. That was probably the cause.

What kind of power supply are you using? Ideally you want 12v, 5.1, 3.3. That 12 at 13 might cause some damage. I know having the 5v above 5.2 can cause damage eventually.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think the power supply is 3 volt, 5, and 12 (guess that explains why the 3.3 is still short)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, you need a clean 3.3v.

Get one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/naomi-power-sup ... 337551247b
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, and try getting the 5V to about 5.1