Questions about the Naomi back up super capacitor

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Questions about the Naomi back up super capacitor

Post by OldFoo »

Hello everybody, I recently found a Naomi at a garage sale. After cleaning them and dusting them off, I started to take a good look at them and began doing lots of research. Unfortunately I found one of the dreaded blue super caps on the working board I had, so I pulled it out. In good time too since the bottom of the cap was already showing signs of leaking! My question is this though; can the Naomi still be ran while the capacitor is out safely. I know it's for memory back up, but I want to be cautious if it may effect something else. Thanks for your help!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Although I can't say for sure what the result will be, one of the following will happen:

1) The board works fine, but all settings would have to be re-entered each time.

2) You would get some sort of error message.

3) The board may not boot at all.

I find it highly unlikely that something catastrophic would happen to the Naomi because this component is not present. However, because of the uncertainty I mentioned, you would keep in mind that this would be 'at your own risk'. Should you try operating the system, let us know what your findings are.