Dead Naomi 1 Mainboard

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Dead Naomi 1 Mainboard

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All,

I've had a Naomi 1 mainboard die on me. I initially thought it was coz I wired up a case fan replacement (but this worked correctly on my new board. The power gets to the board, as the fans spin up, and I get the greed and red led lights. But no video out or sound. Where is the best place to start in trouble shooting?

Cheers

muggsy
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

when did it die?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

werejag wrote:when did it die?
3 weeks ago perhaps... as I said. I thought the fan I set up shorted something so I bought a new mainboard. But the new mainboard works fine with my replacement fan. Everything on the board looks ok. There is a bit of physical damage to the battery holder (next to the bios chip) coz I must have used it as leverage to get the bios chip out at some point. Reseated the boards and everything looks pretty clean
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

maybe you damaged some bios traces
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

werejag wrote:maybe you damaged some bios traces
I'll have a look tonight. Should it come up with an error rather than nothing at all though?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

you describe the problem exactly like what i experienced on one Naomi.

check the underside also of the bios
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

werejag wrote:you describe the problem exactly like what I experienced on one Naomi.

check the underside also of the bios

BIOS is good as I moved it to my replacement board :). I've had a good look at the board and can't see any broken traces. The only damage is too the battery compartment. It's a shame because I don't know of anyone in New Zealand that could fix this (Out of my contacts)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

ah no multimeter i take it. time to learn
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

werejag wrote:ah no multimeter I take it. time to learn
I have a multimeter.... only basic knowledge.. any hints as to where to start?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

pin 11 to the nearest via