New to Naomi and have some GD-ROM questions about Initial D

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

New to Naomi and have some GD-ROM questions about Initial D

Post by OldFoo »

So I picked up an initial d version 3 twin arcade machine off eBay, the card readers where busted so I sent those out to ken westerfield ( getting them back in a few days) anyways my question is other than the GD ROMs and security chips do I need anything else to play the earlier versions of inital D ie. versions 1, 2, and arcade? Also are there any other racing games I can use with my initial d ver3 set up? Trying to get The most out of The Naomi 2 system I guess
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Have a look here http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... ht=initial

It's a JVS cab so most JVS driving games will work to some degree. Pedals and steering are usually 100% - it's usually just the pins for gears that need altering on the i/o board which is a simple task. Auto transmission is often an option anyway.

It can be a bit weird playing the likes of Crazy Taxi with the big iD wheel but it does work. If you can find a Model 3 dash to replace the bespoke iD one you'll have more fun with OR2, Crazy Taxi etc.

InitialD versions 1 to 3 will work 100% in your cab if you get the software.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the reply! I been going through the forums trying to see what I can do and was lookin at out run to but don't really understand the conversion? You need a new board it sounds like? Theres no GD Rom or chip?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

initialD to OutRun2 is an easy conversion, just takes a bit of money!

iD runs on Naomi2 hardware with GD-ROM/key chip whereas OutRun2 runs on Chihiro hardware with GD-ROM/key chip. The connections are the same on the two boards so it's just a case of unplugging the Naomi2 and plugging the Chihiro in. Add OutRun2 software (GD-ROM/key chip) and job done. Everything works 100%

If you do look at getting an OutRun2 setup try to get a Type 3 Chihiro as this version runs both OutRun2 and OutRun2SP. The Type 1 Chihiro doesn't run SP.