dimm batterys

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

dimm batterys

Post by OldFoo »

anyone figure out a way to extend life of dimm memory

even with new batterys if twin machine left off couple of days

have to go back to site sometimes 100 mile away to set back to car 1 car 2 etc link mode

outrun 2 sp.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I seem to recall reading about a hack to plug it into the wall instead of using batteries. Never tested it myelf, but a couple people said it worked at the time. You might can find the info if you search around...I don't seem to have it on hand anymore. But if memory serves they had posted some basic schems and such to get it going.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The battery pack is actually two 3.6v rechargeable batteries put together. Unlike most battery packs, they are not combined to make 7.2v but rather supply 3.6v to each memory module (3 wires).

I think that if you get an AC adapter with 3.6v output (300mA should be enough), connect the negative to ground and connect both supply wires to positive, it would hold the memory information indefinitely (or until AC power is cut).
OldFoo

Dimm battery problems

Post by OldFoo »

Thx for the info

But machines are powered off every night

Need a system that will hold memory indefinitely , like Lindbergh etc

Maybe some thing like c2032 battery etc
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The AC adapter is plugged into the wall. Even if the machine is powered down, it will continue to power the memory. This is assuming that the machines are not powered down by means of circuit breakers.

Another option might include installing a 'bank' of batteries; for example 2 battery packs installed in parallel. On one side, you would get double the backup power time. On the other hand, it would take twice as long to charge them.

There is no easy answer. Unless you can install something like flash roms in place of Dimm modules, there is no way to hold the information indefinitely. :smt009