Power Hungry Carts

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Power Hungry Carts

Post by OldFoo »

Hi All,

Basic setup, Arcade PSU > Capcom I/O > Naomi Mobo

Right, I set the system up to my plasma via the homemade supergun, and started playing Capcom Vs SNK with the lads. After about 1hr, got bored & decided to play DOA2. Another hour or so later, the lads went, and I decided to give Virtua Tennis a blast. 5 minutes into playing I/O error.

Now some may remember I had this I/O problem before, so I upped the +5 a bit & now no problems.

So my main question is...

Are some carts more power hungry than others? If so Why?

Cheers

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

i believe it depens on how much the program loads the naomi cpu, if it charges more the cpu, it takes more power. moreover some carts do have more roms than others, and these also require current to be read ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

MvC2 and VF4 Evo are 2 carts that also freeze if the 5v is too low

noticed its more apparent with Capcom I/O tho, and I have similar issues with one of the SFA3 CPS2 boards I own and a CPS3 kit I previously owned.

might be worth making a note of your voltages under load when they freeze
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Games with lots of MSOP/OPR/MPR/Eproms require more juice.

I think Shootout Pool/Prize has the least number of mask roms for a Naomi, only 2! and 1 program eprom. :)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

off topic - Andy, Lovin the sig & I pity tha fool that dont
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies...

I may be wrong (don't have carts infront of me) but I think either DOA2 or CvS has more ROMS on it that VTennis.

Fuck Knows what's going on.

Cheers

John

P.S.

Is it just me, or does AndyGeezer's sig worry anyone else? If you read the "where have you travelled" thread - He 'ain't been on no Plane! :smt080
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

dj_johnnyg wrote:
P.S.

Is it just me, or does AndyGeezer's sig worry anyone else? If you read the "where have you travelled" thread - He 'ain't been on no Plane! :smt080

LOL :smt030 here A.G. . . drink your glass of milk