Sega naomi games with odd button layouts?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Sega naomi games with odd button layouts?

Post by OldFoo »

Hello,

I'm pretty new to collecting arcade hardware and I've build my jamma supergun in the summer. I have acquired a sega naomi but without game yet but soon I'll start getting some games.

Now to get to my question: are there any sega naomi games (both cart and gd-rom wise) that have weird/odd button layouts? With that I mean games like guilty gear that have the naomi 5th button wired to the physical button at the spot for the hard kick button.

Sounds a bit vague so allow me to explain it a bit better using my ascii art skills:

Normal situation:

[1] [2] [3]

[4] [5] [6]

Guilty Gear situation:

[1] [2] [3]

[4] [x] [5]

The "normal situation" also covers games for example only use a few buttons (like 3 buttons), but with those few buttons wired like the normal situation (like some shmups).

So does anybody know any other games besides guilty gear with odd/weird button layouts? If so, help would be appreciated so I can wire my arcade controller appropriately. Also, I don't mean games that don't use the standard joystick and buttons (like fishing and driving games).

Thanks in advance. :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I know at least one of the guilty gear games supports button mapping in test mode. It's the only game i know of that does.

I wired my sticks so I could move the switches. Basically I used separate ground wires that meet near the harness. I can pop out a microswitch and move it if I don't like the button mapping of a game:

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

skate323k137 wrote:I know at least one of the guilty gear games supports button mapping in test mode. It's the only game I know of that does.

I wired my sticks so I could move the switches. Basically I used separate ground wires that meet near the harness. I can pop out a microswitch and move it if I don't like the button mapping of a game:

I happen to have sanwa buttons which don't have microswitches I can detach. :smt009

But if (and that's the reason I'm asking if there are more naomi games with odd button layouts) there aren't any other games with odd button layouts apart from guilty gear, then I could use a DPDT switch and hook the wires up like this:

This way I can alternate between button 5 and 6 going into the button 5 input at the naomi.

Then again, this is just an idea for if guilty gear is the one with an odd button layout. Might be stupid to use a DPDT switch but we'll see. ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

DPDT is not a bad idea at all.

Everything else i can think of is standard layouts, and like i said, guilty gear XXAC at least has button mapping in test mode, making your DPDT pointless in that case.

I usually only move them for ikaruga and trigger heart exelica because I prefer button 2 where 4 usually is, and button 3 where 2 usually is. Basically makes the places for 1/2 shot/bomb respectively, and moves the extra 'function' to my thumb on 4.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hmm, that seems like a pretty nice button layout. And since I'm not sure if there are any other games with the button layout like GG or the original I guess I'll go the with the DPDT.

Thank for the help. :)