MvC2 Buffer Issues

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

MvC2 Buffer Issues

Post by OldFoo »

Hey folks,

I'm just getting into Naomi, but have a lot of arcade experience. I recently picked up a MvC2 cart that ran stable for a brief period through a Capcom IO, and then started rebooting and crashing. The self test reports very intermittent results, with sometimes the chips reporting all good, and sometimes others randomly bad. My primary question is that should I be looking at getting those buffers replaced, and has anyone experienced them seemingly working and failing rather than dying outright? Would an official Naomi power supply possibly take care of this issue?

Voltages are (and have always been since the Naomi was installed) perfect and stable, with 3.3, 5.1, and 12.10 on the mainboard, and adjusting them doesn't seem to predictably affect the problem, other than that the system gets more stable when voltages near the recommended ones are being output. Right now I'm running the cart and board uncased to eliminate heat from the equation.

Has anyone else seen the buffer ICs fail like this? I've seen buffers shot on other arcade hardware, and they often are quite dead when they go.

Thanks!
OldFoo

Re: MvC2 Buffer Issues

Post by OldFoo »

Evewalker wrote:Hey folks,

I'm just getting into Naomi, but have a lot of arcade experience. I recently picked up a MvC2 cart that ran stable for a brief period through a Capcom IO, and then started rebooting and crashing. The self test reports very intermittent results, with sometimes the chips reporting all good, and sometimes others randomly bad. My primary question is that should I be looking at getting those buffers replaced, and has anyone experienced them seemingly working and failing rather than dying outright? Would an official Naomi power supply possibly take care of this issue?

Voltages are (and have always been since the Naomi was installed) perfect and stable, with 3.3, 5.1, and 12.10 on the mainboard, and adjusting them doesn't seem to predictably affect the problem, other than that the system gets more stable when voltages near the recommended ones are being output. Right now I'm running the cart and board uncased to eliminate heat from the equation.

Has anyone else seen the buffer ICs fail like this? I've seen buffers shot on other arcade hardware, and they often are quite dead when they go.

Thanks!

90% of cart issues like this are the 16bit buffers, only rare do the actual mask roms corrupt/fail.

Replace all the 16bit buffers, and you should be good.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at this point. It ran smoothly for about two hours last night, and then it started boot looping again.

Is it normal for all of the 16 bit buffers to fail at once? It's why I'm so suspicious of the source of the problem.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Right now it is drawing power from a standard power supply through the Capcom I/O. I do have a official Naomi power supply hanging around, but I'm not familiar enough with the Naomi setup to substitute it in to a Jamma Cab and Capcom I/O rig

Any suggestions on the cleanest way to accomplish this so that board is receiving voltage directly from the Naomi and the Capcom I/O is still present in the system? Where does the Naomi power supply draw its AC power from in such a setup?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Evewalker wrote:Yeah, that's what I'm thinking at this point. It ran smoothly for about two hours last night, and then it started boot looping again.

Is it normal for all of the 16 bit buffers to fail at once? It's why I'm so suspicious of the source of the problem.

only takes one to fail - bit of a ballache, best to replace them all.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Need to find some buffer too . Do you know where can I buy It?

++