VC3 gun out of screen problem

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

VC3 gun out of screen problem

Post by OldFoo »

Hi Guys,

since I am not able to solve my tech issue with Virtua Cop 3 I have decided to ask here for advice. I own VC3 (upright 29" in Naomi cabinet) and suddenly the game stopped tracking both guns on x-axis about 10cm from the left (10cm wide stripe of inactive area). So I was thinkig that the problem will be in bad screen sensors. I decided to replace left screen sensors without any results.

This is what I checked:

Guns - sensors in both guns seems to be ok, no stuttering in game and or test mode, everything is ok except the metioned 10cm wide area on the left side where I get "out of screen"

Screen sensors - it looks they are all right, two left sensors were replaced (1st top left + 1st bottom left) wit no results, checked all wiring to sensors for the gun pcb. All sensors are lit.

Do you have any suggestions what to check? Can it be some problem with the naomi gun pcb? Thank you very much for your advice.

Michal
OldFoo

Re: VC3 gun out of screen problem

Post by OldFoo »

Nynda wrote:Hi Guys,

since I am not able to solve my tech issue with Virtua Cop 3 I have decided to ask here for advice. I own VC3 (upright 29" in Naomi cabinet) and suddenly the game stopped tracking both guns on x-axis about 10cm from the left (10cm wide stripe of inactive area). So I was thinkig that the problem will be in bad screen sensors. I decided to replace left screen sensors without any results.

This is what I checked:

Guns - sensors in both guns seems to be ok, no stuttering in game and or test mode, everything is ok except the metioned 10cm wide area on the left side where I get "out of screen"

Screen sensors - it looks they are all right, two left sensors were replaced (1st top left + 1st bottom left) wit no results, checked all wiring to sensors for the gun pcb. All sensors are lit.

Do you have any suggestions what to check? Can it be some problem with the naomi gun pcb? Thank you very much for your advice.

Michal

If its affecting both guns it could be the gun I/O board has gone bad, are all the LEDs lit up? Use a digital camera to see for sure if they are nice and bright they can go dim and less responsive with time.

Can't see both sensors in the guns going at exactly the same time, do you have a 'gun protection ' board installed?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thank you for your reply. I will check all LEDs again. Not sure if there is any "gun protection" board. Where should be placed? Is it some extra pbc which you have to buy and add to your game or some games come with this pcb directly from the manufacturer?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nynda wrote:Thank you for your reply. I will check all LEDs again. Not sure if there is any "gun protection" board. Where should be placed? Is it some extra pbc which you have to buy and add to your game or some games come with this pcb directly from the manufacturer?

Sega put them on some games they plug between the gun I/O board and the guns you'll see it if you have one but they are shit tbh and just cause probs, if there's on on it its worth taking it off and seeing if its any better.

I had one fitted on my vc3 cab and it made one gun shoot wonky, took it off and it was fine.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just another thought as today I found out my spare vc3 guns and thought one was broke as it was shooting wonky, I have a new spare gun sensor but on opening the gun noticed the blue wire on the gun sensor connector was coming out of the connector,looks to be poor design as it was the only wire with any strain on it and had pulled itself out over time.

Needless to say I pushed it back in and the gun worked 100% again so I bought a new gun sensor for no reason :(

Always good to have a spare tho I guess, of course has probably nothing to do with your problem but always worth checking as in theory they both could be the same as this one ended up.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thechop wrote:Just another thought as today I found out my spare vc3 guns and thought one was broke as it was shooting wonky, I have a new spare gun sensor but on opening the gun noticed the blue wire on the gun sensor connector was coming out of the connector,looks to be poor design as it was the only wire with any strain on it and had pulled itself out over time.

Needless to say I pushed it back in and the gun worked 100% again so I bought a new gun sensor for no reason :(

Always good to have a spare tho I guess, of course has probably nothing to do with your problem but always worth checking as in theory they both could be the same as this one ended up.

Thank you. Probably something is wrong with the Gun Sense PCB. I will let you know ;).