Left audio channel dead?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Left audio channel dead?

Post by OldFoo »

I have a Crazy Taxi machine that I've been nursing back to health, and the only issue I haven't been able to resolve is the left (black) audio channel being totally silent. The right (red) channel works fine.

I've tested the audio jacks with a separate amp and speakers, and I had the same result: right channel works, left channel doesn't. I tested the cabinet's amp and speakers with a different audio source, and they're working fine. I've also tried a different filter board, and it didn't make any difference. It seems like the board simply isn't supplying signal to the left channel. :(

Has anyone encountered this issue before? I just want to make sure I haven't missed a DIP switch setting or something before I sink a lot of money into a replacement motherboard.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just a basic troubleshooting question- did you always use the same audio cord on your tests? Did you try reversing the L + R to see if it switches sides? Reason is, I had a bad audio cord once, you wouldn't know it by looking at it, but one side was out. Changing the cord fixed the issue, was the last thing I thought of.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

The audio cables are definitely fine. I wanted to make sure it wasn't an amp/speaker/wiring issue, so I plugged the RCA cables into an old CD player instead of the Naomi board, and that worked fine. I also used a different set of cables entirely when I connected the Naomi audio out to a different amp.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I don't have any real technical suggestions, i'm not sure but it sounds like the board is at fault from what you decribe. At this point I normally take apart the unit and clean it good, search it over for any problems or obvious bad components. Then I try hooking it all back up and see if it fixes it.