Chihiro won't recognize different key

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Chihiro won't recognize different key

Post by OldFoo »

I'm having the hardest time getting some chihiro units to recognize a different key. I have a type 1 unit and a type 3 unit. There are 2 Net DIMMs for the type 1, one at 3.03 and one at 4.02. All units are 512mb.

The type 1 has a HOTD3 key which it can use and works. I can netboot with it into games but can't play or it resets back to an error which is expected. The game ID for HOTD3 is apparently SBFY according to system information. Now if I remove this key and install the network key, reboot, the game ID is still showing SBFY but the network key game ID is supposed to be 5ABC! I removed the DIMM battery, reset the DIMM memory, removed the DIMM cart and let it sit awhile disconnected, removed the lithium battery on board the Chihiro. After all this, the game ID is STILL showing SBFY with the network key. Even if I turn on the unit with NO KEY INSTALLED it still says SBFY!!

On to the type 3, its doing the same thing, except this key is from Out Run 2 SP. It always shows SGBZ no matter what. The network key here should show 5XYZ.

So is there a way to zap the memory here to totally make it forget all settings? A way to force the key to be read? I'm just not getting how this is happening.

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears that the Game ID is not specific to the key. If I remove the DIMM board on the Type 1 and boot it up, it still shows SBFY. I'm also at a loss on where this data is stored without a battery to save it.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Update: Still no success getting the network keys to do anything. I did get some new keys in from a pair of Out Run 2 SP units the other day so I just thought it would be fun to see what would happen with the Type 1 in net boot mode using a OR2SP key. I loaded up Crazy Taxi High Roller and was able to play it, no crashes or resets. The HOTD3 key does not let me do this, it crashes to a gateway error at certain points. So really, what does the network key have thats special? Time to test more games and see what happens I suppose.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Update: This appears to be resolved.

Took a look at triforcetools.py, not sure why I didn't do this before but that spells it out for you. The script seeds a "zero key" to the hardware that overrides the hardware key inserted. A zero key will run *any* game (that the hardware can handle). So simply all you need is any old Chihiro key and you're set to net boot.

The reason I was doing this before and crashing was quite simply because my laptop was going to sleep. It was on some extreme power saver mode and would become unresponsive after a few minutes. An AC cord and power setting later, I was not getting any gateway errors and I was able to happily play Crazy Taxi and Out Run 2 without interruptions.

So that leaves me to the Game ID question: If you remove the hardware key and check the game ID, it always reports SBFY. This is not a game ID apparently but a default code that is read back when no key is inserted. I can remove the DIMM board and turn on the unit, read the game ID, same thing- SBFY. I can install the DIMM board and remove the key, same thing- SBFY. I insert a Out Run 2 SP key and read the game ID, its now GBZ! Aha! True for any other key I stick in there as well.

So this makes all sense now. If you're using a net boot utility like triforcetools or naomi net dimm loader (same thing but in a app), then you don't need an extra network key, any old Chihiro key will do.

At this point, I have not done "extensive" testing on all this but from what I have done, it appears to be the case. I'll update if anything changes.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

So this makes all sense now. If you're using a net boot utility like triforcetools or naomi net dimm loader (same thing but in a app), then you don't need an extra network key, any old Chihiro key will do.

The Walking Dead Season 3 Video return for the fans which is expected to include 16 action episodes!