Crazy Taxi to 18 Wheeler (& Jambo! Safari)

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Crazy Taxi to 18 Wheeler (& Jambo! Safari)

Post by OldFoo »

Hey all,

I am so green when it comes to this stuff, so please bare with me.

I recently purchased an upright Crazy Taxi cabinet. It's in great shape, and was one of my all time favorites in the Arcade, so I was really pumped to get my hands on it.

Then I heard that it was possible to swap games in it and I got even more excited about the prospect of being able to have some variety. From what I read, the 2 games that worked with it were 18 Wheeler and Jambo! Safari.

Lucky enough, I found someone on the ebays which had both cartridges, so I bought both of them.

I got 18 Wheeler the other day and popped it in, it takes a few minuted to load (and only shows a black screen while doing so) but it works. From my understanding I thought that I would be able to play it, but it would be without reverse or radio working. However, it seems that the game stopper is that the shifter doesn't work with this game, and I'm unable to shift from low to high; as downshift changes views and up-shift does nothing ( it might shift from high to low, but because you start in low it's impossible to tell)

Jambo hasn't come yet, but from what I hear all the controls work straight up, except that the CT shifter is reversed which I can live with.

Wow, that was pretty long winded... but what I basically want to know is if there's a way to wire it so I can make the shifter work for hi/low in 18 Wheeler, while still easily being able to swap the wiring setup so that it works for CT & JS.

Again, I'm really noob to all this, so much so that I thought I was being all 'advanced' by simply swapping the carts!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Congrats on getting one of your fave cabs :)

You can play a number of games in the cab but as you've discovered there's usually on thing that doesn't quite work right. That thing is usually the shifter- steering and pedals are almost always fine.

The issue is with how the various controls on each game are assigned on the i/o board (pcb with the usb connector in the cab). Annoyingly Sega uses different pins for gears and buttons such as view change in different games.

This is easy to solve once yoy know the pins to swap over on the 60pin connector on the i/o board. Machine off, swap pins over (can be flicked out with a small screwdriver), power on job done.

I've had most JVS driving games running in my sitdown drivers- I think 18 Wheeler is a little trickier though as the shifter needs to lock into hi or lo whereas the CT shifter is designed to click a switch but return to neutral. I found I had to hold the shifter in the hi gear otherwise it jumped back to lo even when I'd re-mapped the pins :(

The good news is there's more games than you think available to you to play in this cab! InitialD 1,2,3 can be played if you drop a Naomi2 with gd-rom setup in there and OutRun2 is very easy to setup if you drop a Chihiro Type 3 board in there! Both very cool games :)

The pinouts are all online, but I can't look right now as I'm typing this on my phone! I have some of the pinouts listed but it would be good to get a difinitive list on here as a sticky..

Maybe someone else can chime in in the meantime or I'll dig out what I have when I get chance.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm happy to hear that it's 'easy' once you know how, especially now because I just got my Jambo! Safari in the mail today... what I expected was for it to work from the get go. But alas, I popped it in and the shifter doesn't throw the lasso. What a bummer! :smt011

I would GREATLY appreciate a little walk through on what I might need to do, as I said, I'm a noob. It's pretty tight under my cabinet, with only enough room to slide the cartridges in and out.

If you could post what 'pins' I might need to flip for these bad boys, I'd be very thankful!

Heck, I don't mind holding the shifter for 18 Wheeler, just as long as I get get it to work!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I think there will be some issues with 18 wheeler and the CT steering since its completely different. You might not be able to turn to maximum or something.

AFAIK 18 wheeler is only fully playable on a 18 wheeler/Route 66 cab.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yes, but it's still very playable. I was able to drive and steer decently down the road, but was unable to shift. It's the shifter that makes it unplayable, the turning radius just makes it a little more difficult.

Until I know more about what I need to do to make the shifter to work (flipping the pins?) I'm just stuck unable to play these games.

I'm hoping Outrun2 will be able to share his knowledge soon, I'm getting antsy! :D
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

yeah I found 18 wheeler to be not that fun in CT cab without some mods to harness, same with King of Route 66, others are okay, some are lacking some controls, you could make adapter harnesses, do a full pinout on the JVS part, and then make adapters to plug into that, downside is finding enough parts without trashing a few JVS harnesses :(
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I thought I had all the pinouts for 18 Wheeler but maybe not. You can usually work it out from the wiring diagram but 18 wheeler uses a different i/o board to most drivers so it's not possible.

Anyway, you should be able to at least play the game and get into Hi gear by doing the following:

1. Switch off and unplug the machine. Open up the cab so you can get to the small i/o board.

2. Remove the 60pin JST connector on the i/o board (the long one shown here at the bottom of the photo).

3. Remove the pin from the slot marked 23 ? you can do this by pressing down with a small screwdriver on the flat exposed part of the metal pin and pulling out gently.

4. Insert this pin into the slot marked 24 (make sure it is slot 24 as it?s a double sided connector - numbers are marked on the edge of the connector in small text).

5. Double-check ;)

6. Push the JST connector back in firmly until it clicks.

7. Plug in, power on and give it a try.

Pulling back (marked reverse) on the CT shifter should put the truck into Hi gear though you'll probably have to hold it in that position to keep it in gear and steer with the other hand. Not a big deal as there's no ffb and we all do this in our cars anyway! ;)

Obviously when you switch carts back to CT you now won't be able to select reverse. To switch back to CT setting, just move the pin back from slot 24 to 23.

I need to work out the Lo gear setting next.. I'm sure I had it once!! :smt011

Anyone else know the pinouts for 18 Wheeler with a type 1 i/o board?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Thanks for the info!

Does that mean that in factory setup, #23 spot has the wire for the shifter reverse position? Would that make the #22 spot holding the forward position wire?

Just wondering so I might try to locate the working spot to switch back to low...

Thanks!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just to conclude this thread... I was able to simply dual wire 23 to 25, and 24 to 26.

Now, just popping out the cartridge is all that I need to do to make all 3 games work, though 18 Wheeler needs to be held in high, and it changes views when you do... Plus the steering IS limited as expected, playable though!. Jambo works perfectly!

I found the solution here: http://www.sega-naomi.com/forum/viewtop ... 325a8dc706