Ferrari F355 single used Naomi multiboard?

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Ferrari F355 single used Naomi multiboard?

Post by OldFoo »

I was hoping to score a F355 Challenge ROM board and see it if I could rig it up in my NASCAR Deluxe cab, I currently have a Naomi 2 in it and was running a few Naomi 1/2 racing games in it (swapped I/O board and driver board).

I figured I'd swap it back to the NASCAR I/O and driver board hardware, get the EPROM for the I/O board programmed for Ferrari F355, and give it a try.

BUT I've recently been told that all of the F355 single monitor cabs actually used the Naomi multiboard and that it requires a multiboard to run at the proper game speed even if it's just a one monitor machine.

Is this information correct?

Long ago I'd heard that there was a F355 cart that would run fine on a Naomi board and then there was the F355 cart that required the multiboard to run correctly. If untrue and there's just one version, well, um, bummer.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

F355 is a unique game. I've heard of people attempt to play this game with a standard Naomi and it runs slow every time. I think the issue here is that the game probably ran beyond the Naomi's system speed and memory capacity, hence the need for the multiboard and modified EPROM.

There are 2 types of cabinets and 2 versions of this game. The cabinets consist of Dedicated (single driver, 3 screens) and Twin cabinets (2 drivers, 2 screens). The game versions are F335 Challenge & F335 2 International Edition. The Dedicated cab needs four Naomi boards to run! One for each screen and the fourth runs the game's code and coordinates the timing of the other three.

All of that being said, I can't say I've seen a single screen version of this game.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Single screen types from a twin need the multiboard which has 2 Naomi 1's recently got it running in my sr2 upright.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vUedGj5l-WU