Naomi Communication Board Questions

Naomi & all other arcade tech questions forum
OldFoo

Naomi Communication Board Questions

Post by OldFoo »

Wassup everyone. I just got Gundam Federation VS Generation Deluxe yesterday, and I'm really digging it... so much that I'm seriously considering getting the Network link kit so I can play 2player mode. I had some basic questions before I take the plunge however (I have the manual that explains it, but I dont' speak japanese).

Do each of the naomi terminals need to have a copy of the game, or does only the master unit need to have the game?

Does the network board plug in between the dimm, or does it take the place of the dimm?

Whats the going rate for the communications PCB + cables? I seem to remember seeing them on ebay for liek $15, but I could be delusional.

Finally, what other games support the cabinet linking/ network mode? Is it worth getting the extra hardware if I only play Gundam with it?

Thanks!

BIll
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Whether or not it's worth it is a matter of preference. Some people like it, some think it's just 'ok, but gets old fast'.

To link games, the following is required for each Naomi:

1) A communication board for both

2) A BIOS version that supports linking for both

3) The same game and release version for both

4) 2 optic cables

The communication board fits between the cart/dimm and fits onto the connectors underneath. You can use any Toslink optic cables so they don't have to come from Sega. I bought 2 cables at a local audio/video store for $9 each.

One Naomi needs to be set as 'Master' and the other 'Slave' to work properly.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Oh man that sucks... I was under the impression that you only needed 1 game for the link mode to work. So that means I'd need to buy ANOTHER gdrom set and another copy of gundam just to play 2 player.... lame.

Oh well I'll make-do w/ 1player I guess.

Thanks for the info.

-Bill