Is it worth keeping this site/forum open ?

Off topic posts go in this forum
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I will seriously host this site for free on one of my servers if the renewal fees are an issue. As long as I'm not profiting from the site I can host it for free.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

You would have to speak to Cageman about that.
OldFoo

Donations

Post by OldFoo »

Can we donate towards server costs? And to who do we make them?
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I'll just keep saying Cageman until somebody takes note :smt006
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Do not worry: this site will remain open.

Donations are much appreciated, though :-)

Any donations can be made using paypal gift to arjan.kooij at casema.nl
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

And a very warm THANK YOU to SkyyCorvus for donating!!

:smt023
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just had a look in the email addy that handles the spambot registrations attempts, since March 2010 there has been over 40 thousand of them !
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Damn! What's that all about? What a waste of time and energy. :smt011
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

It's all bot programs, mostly Chinese IP's but if you firewall china off, they just come from other IP's. I struggled with the same crap on my own phpbb forum. The way they handle it here is pretty effective (don't fill out any profile fields, or fail)

there's a few things you can do. The stock captchas were totally busted as well as the algorithm for the authentication e-mail. What I did on my forum was drop any registrations from UTC-12 since it's actually option 0 in the list and most bots pick that (it's an uninhabited time zone). Then I just added one custom profile field that is mandatory but only accepts one answer. That eliminated 99.99 percent of the attempts.

I actually attended a pretty good presentation once on how spammers actually make money through online pharmacies. Believe it or not, as stupid and as much of a waste of time as spam e-mail and forum spamming seems like, there's actually good money in it, much to every forum administrators dismay.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Just have to say that I think you should keep things going. I love coming to this site. It has a great wealth of info and the Naomi is my favorite system. Thanks every involved with keeping it alive.