My new cab project

Go on, you know you want to show off!
OldFoo

My new cab project

Post by OldFoo »

Hi everyone!

I've been meaning to post some hardware on here for some time now. But something always got in the way of me actually completing my projects. So, here is my current build in progress:

Here are some before shots of the empty cab:

Image Image Image

Front:----------------Rear:------------------Control Panel:

Here is the cab with Naomi gear inside of it: :smt103

Image Image

This is the populated control panel:

I haven't decided whether or not I will be putting a panel overlay. That decision will come when I decide to put any artwork on the cab.

I may also change the colors of the buttons. The monitor and other finishing touches are coming soon! :D
Last edited by OldFoo on Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I was beginning to think your were a operator, hence lack of pictures.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

I didn't think those Mameroom bartop arcades could house a NAOMI system. I have one laying around downstairs. I will be interested to see what Monitor you use for this with the NAOMI inside. :smt020
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

@Pete:

An operator? I can see why you thought that. In a way, I wish I was. I could make this hobby into a business. :smt007

@DJ:

I'm planning on using a Dell 17inch LCD monitor which I am in the process of finding the best way to mount it. I have a couple of ideas, it's just deciding which would be best.

Before ordering the cab, I did all of the measurements and calculations to see if I could, in fact, mount a Naomi system. It works out just fine! ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hello again, everyone!

It's been a couple of months since I updated this post, so I have more pictures. The cab is about 90-95% done! :smt033

Here are some pics of the newly installed monitor:

ImageImageImage

With this configuration, I can move the monitor in anyway necessary without any trouble. :smt023

The cab's manual suggested 'painting' the backside of the monitor's plexiglass in the shape of the viewable space of the monitor, but I wasn't satisfied with that idea. Instead, I made my own bezel:

ImageImage

One strange aspect about this cab is that there is no cutout for speaker(s) of any kind. Something the manufacturer neglected to mention.:smt012 Anyways, it took me a while to come up with something that would not only fit, but sound good as well. Here's what I came up with:

All that's left is to make a permanent AC power connection, mount a GD-Rom inside, finalize the test mode buttons so that they are more accessable and attach the rear panel. :smt112
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Wow, that turned out really great. I'm still amazed that the cab was big enough to house an entire Naomi setup.