New Project - Crazy Taxi

Go on, you know you want to show off!
OldFoo

New Project - Crazy Taxi

Post by OldFoo »

I have been on the lookout for a new project to start after my Uni restoration and i thought i had the perfect candidate in this.

Thrill Drive 2 Machine

With the game board the guy wanted ?170 which i nearly took his arm off for as the Konami Viper board inside is worth over ?100.00. I brought some silver spray and some leather vinyl to recover the bench and basically its ready to sell on as was hardly any work to do.

I was going to keep and do an Outrun 2 conversion but then this little gem came up.

I finally got my hands on the machine ive been wanting since it was released over 10 years ago.

I spotted this little gem complete with all artwork and game board.

As you can see it needs some work and a good clean.

The guy i brought it from had about 40+ machines in a warehouse from all era's, he even had a few that i had never seen including a twin sit down Half-Life machine and a Virtual Reality booth with moving platforms.... trully amazing stuff.

I paid him a little over ?400 so im happy as the board and cart are worth half that at least.. he also through in an extra Naomi board that needs some work.

So i started of by stripping it down and putting back together so as to get a feel for the machine and to also see what is and isnt required. I spent around 7-8 hours doing this and is the best way in my opinion as you can look at each part.

First analysis was although dirty the underneath was pretty decent but there were a few area where the paint is splitting which will need to be sanded and resprayed. Also the monitor bezzel has a crack which means repair and repsray or replace.. either way means the near impossible task of getting new artwork :(

Was a little dissapointed to find out that these uprights dont have force feedback on the steering but im hoping that putting it in isnt gonna be too much work though the Midi boards seem exspensive.... hopefully i can source one cheaply.

So jobs to do:

1, Source paint (easy)

2, Source artwork

3, Figure out how to restore the foot plate artwork (very tricky)

4, Sell the Thrill Drive machine as wife is doing her nut because we have no kitchen.....

Watch this space!!!

Image[img]
Last edited by OldFoo on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nice work..!

Cool topic!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Been a while so thought i would update you all.... Have finished the restoration and as you can see it looks pretty amazing.

I sanded and resprayes both the controll panel and monitor suround. i used as close a match as i could with the yellow and orange paint to give a nice 2 tone colour.

The cab was reprayed with appliance gloss white which really brings it back to life.

My only gripe was the way the seat is designed it pushes against the cab and a rubber on each side grips it in place, of course this means every time you move it around it scrapes at the finish paint.

Finished Job

Well hope you all like the finish job, is currently on Ebay Uk under my user Morrigu99

On to the next project.

Maximum Speed sit down driver on the Atomiswave system.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Nicely done - seems a shame to sell it after all that hard work! Good cab and I am looking for one but it's out of my price rangee and you've already done all the work! :)

What else did the guy have in his warehouse - any twin drivers..? ;)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

He had a couple of Twin SD drivers cant remember what they were to be honest GTI club i think was one. had some other twins but the Half-Life Twins were coolest and the Twin V-Reality Boths were impressive as i had never seen one. I must try and get hold of the guy and get him to send me some pics.

Regards

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Its Rav

http://www.retrokade.com

He mainly collects the classics but seems to have gotten a bit of a Pinball addiction as of late :)

Setch
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

thanks for this i was gonna look through my ebay stuff but that saves me the job... As you said he was selling alot off and was getting into pins.

Regards

John
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Looking down his list of cabs he seems to have gotten rid of alot of his games which is a shame as he had an amazing collection.

John