NAOMI 2 Universal "Consolised"-ish set-up

Go on, you know you want to show off!
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Awesome stuff. I like how you used a spare dimm to cover the filter board, and encased the I/O.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

2 new games for my collection

Melty Blood: Actress Again. Very rare and expensive, but managed to get a brand new kit for Y18,000

Illmatic Envelope (aka Illvelo), again, somewhat rare, brand new kit for Y15,000
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

necro post

additions to my collection since I was last active

Senko no Ronde SP

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf Asche

Toy Fighter

Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper

SlashOut

Dynamite Deka EX - Asian Dynamite

Spikers Battle

Virtua Fighter 4 (the first)

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution, thus completing my VF4 set

Beach Spikers

Jingi Storm
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

And now this is where I cheat, as I gave up on finding affordable legit copies. I was prepared to pay $300 for Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble, but fujita communications sold their copy before I got my funds together. Most of the others I already have legit Dreamcast copies, so I don't feel so bad about that.

Initial D and Lupin are just wishful thinking about ever attempting to get a functioning steering wheel and light gun. I had hoped to at least see the attract screens, but of course the game won't load unless the required hardware is connected.

Of course, the upside of piracy is the ease by which custom cases can be created

Now to create custom covers for all of these

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

And one last reply, I've started making inroads in to the Atomiswave as well, but again I've cheated by resorting to the chinese bootlegs

Guilty Gear X Ver 1.5 is legit though

Much easier to come across custom covers for the Atomiswave

OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

doc_eggfan wrote:And now this is where I cheat, as I gave up on finding affordable legit copies. I was prepared to pay $300 for Azumanga Daioh Puzzle Bobble, but fujita communications sold their copy before I got my funds together. Most of the others I already have legit Dreamcast copies, so I don't feel so bad about that.

Initial D and Lupin are just wishful thinking about ever attempting to get a functioning steering wheel and light gun. I had hoped to at least see the attract screens, but of course the game won't load unless the required hardware is connected.

Of course, the upside of piracy is the ease by which custom cases can be created

Now to create custom covers for all of these

ID3 won't work with that I/O board - needs a dedicated I/O.

Lupin3 should work, but it needs coin meter fitted or a loop cable with 100ohm resistor from the coin meter to +5v.
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Hey man - your collection is looking great.

I had a couple of questions for you though.

Where are you getting your legit games/kits from? There is almost nothing going on here anymore, and there is nothing available on ebay.

For some reason, I have to have the original stuff, but things seem to have dried up. I was wondering if you'd share where you've been shopping... ;)

Second, how can you tell an original Atomiswave cart from a Chinese bootleg (as you mentioned?)

Lastly, for those CF games, how do you connect the drive to the Naomi? I've always wondered that.

Thanks! Keep collecting - great stuff...(some of which I need to get my hands on too...) :)

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

Yeah, ebay's pretty much useless for the more obscure titles

Most of them I got from http://www.fujitacommunications.com/

Yumi can usually scrounge up whatever you're after, even if it isn't listed in the current stocklist. The actual games are legit, but you usually get copies of movelists and banners, but sometimes you get lucky.

When Yumi failed me, I turned to http://www.coinopexpress.com/ but they're usually (much) more expensive

I actually purchased the AW games direct from the bootlegger (I have no shame), so that's how I knew for certain.

Comparing the bootlegs to the legit one I got from Yumi, the biggest obvious difference is the lack of holographic Sammy logo. Also, I believe the serial numbers on the labels are all the same on the bootlegs, so if they match the ones I pictured, then they're probably bootlegs.

The CF reader directly replaces the GD-drive. The power supply and the parallel cable connect exactly the same. You just need to upgrade the DIMM board to the latest firmware, which can be done with an official GD-rom CF Box firmware update, or you can connect to pc via the ethernet cable and upgrade from PC with the right software (which is what I did).

I've pretty much stopped collecting for now. Just enjoying the fruits of my labour now.

(I lie, I am considering a Titan ST-V, and I've bought an xbox360 HD-DVD player in preparation for an eventual future Lindbergh or Ring Edge purchase)
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

doc_eggfan wrote:Yeah, ebay's pretty much useless for the more obscure titles

Yumi can usually scrounge up whatever you're after, even if it isn't listed in the current stocklist. The actual games are legit, but you usually get copies of movelists and banners, but sometimes you get lucky.

When Yumi failed me, I turned to http://www.coinopexpress.com/ but they're usually (much) more expensive

I actually purchased the AW games direct from the bootlegger (I have no shame), so that's how I knew for certain.

Comparing the bootlegs to the legit one I got from Yumi, the biggest obvious difference is the lack of holographic Sammy logo. Also, I believe the serial numbers on the labels are all the same on the bootlegs, so if they match the ones I pictured, then they're probably bootlegs.

The CF reader directly replaces the GD-drive. The power supply and the parallel cable connect exactly the same. You just need to upgrade the DIMM board to the latest firmware, which can be done with an official GD-rom CF Box firmware update, or you can connect to pc via the ethernet cable and upgrade from PC with the right software (which is what I did).

I've pretty much stopped collecting for now. Just enjoying the fruits of my labour now.

(I lie, I am considering a Titan ST-V, and I've bought an xbox360 HD-DVD player in preparation for an eventual future Lindbergh or Ring Edge purchase)

Thanks for the info man, I appreciate it. Should you ever decide to liquidate - send me a pm. ;)

Do you know what version of firmware you need for the CF - is there a disc for that, or just something you need to get off the internet? (Sorry, I don't know much about CFs.)

Thanks again!

Steve
OldFoo

Post by OldFoo »

doc_eggfan wrote:Yeah, ebay's pretty much useless for the more obscure titles

Shoot - I tried to open the pdf of his products for sale, but unfortunately, I couldn't read it. Something about not having the right font package or something.

Any chance you have that list?